Door lock removal

Time for the ever so helpful peeps to come to my rescue.

Struggling to see how my door locks come out. Done some googling to no avail and I know that Captain Helpful will be along any second to give me a pointer.

Thanks in advance !

IMG_0170.jpeg

Think I’ve sussed it - looks like there’s a couple of tangs between the sleeve which need to be depressed.

They're the dirty rusty looking things between the shiny sleeves in this pic (not mine)

A157A5FE-F91B-49E7-9810-CA6242FA5FEB.jpeg

The ‘orrible clawed clip.

The lock is held in by the ends of a spring metal claw that is pressing on the inner door skin and is held round the lock by itself

The coloured red bit on your lock is the clawed clip.  Also pointed at in the second photo.

To remove either attempt to open up the round area of the clip that is holding the lock using a thin screwdriver or compress the legs that are touching the door skin press them both inwards 

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2388.jpeg

Thanks Steve - decided to bite the bullet and have perfected a technique using a long flat blade screwdriver on the tangs, individually, whilst levering off the door frame against the back of the lock.

Once one tang is engaged in the opening, the other can be pushed down.

I did have to rotate the lock however, to get access to both tangs.

I now class myself as an expert.

Had a look at the clamps you kindly put up - do these work with the tang style locks such as mine ?

Brill - many thanks. Just debating getting some new locks now as well, so that they’re both on the same key.

The tang type are approx half the cost of the threaded nut kind. Moss do them on eBay for £55 or so a pair, but £12.30 postage is a bit OTT.

If they were £67.30 with free postage that would be fine….

Edited by Jonny TR6

Lateral thinking.  

They are also used on MG (BHH972/3) and Spitfire/GT6 (621773)

https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/door-locks-pair-2   =621773 pair

Moaners club offer the nut type as a pair    https://www.mgocspares.co.uk/product/bhh972__3z/locks-door-pr-non-slip?nodePath=1

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Johnny I don’t know whether you know but you can unlock and lock the doors from inside by pushing the door handle forward to lock and open it just pull it back as you normally would to open I’m lucky with my TR one key for the door locks also fits the glove box

Now that's something I wasn't aware of Steve - good tip. I've ordered the new locks direct from Moss. £52.50 plus £3.95 postage which is much more reasonable than £12.30.

Someone will have the old locks off me as they're in very good condition.

Need to get the glove box lock re-keyed if I can, or just live with it. Nothing worse than lots of keys all looking the same and doing a different function.

12 minutes ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Now that's something I wasn't aware of Steve - good tip. I've ordered the new locks direct from Moss. £52.50 plus £3.95 postage which is much more reasonable than £12.30.

Someone will have the old locks off me as they're in very good condition.

Need to get the glove box lock re-keyed if I can, or just live with it. Nothing worse than lots of keys all looking the same and doing a different function.

So what about the boot lid lock?    Is that already a different key?

The seller of my car said, when asked if there were a set of door keys, replied why bother locking them? a quick slash of the hood and a thief has access via the inside door handles. 

I suppose different thieves have varying motivations, some just opportunists, and others who want to take your car away, I don’t know what the answer is, just have a good agreed valuation insurance.

Anyone any good suggestions for anti theft devices?, any mobile app’s for this?

Sorry to highjack this topic, but it seems to be well covered at this stage.

Mike

Edited by mleadbeater
28 minutes ago, mleadbeater said:

The seller of my car said, when asked if there were a set of door keys, replied why bother locking them? a quick slash of the hood and a thief has access via the inside door handles. 

I suppose different thieves have varying motivations, some just opportunists, and others who want to take your car away, I don’t know what the answer is, just have a good agreed valuation insurance.

Mike

A steering lock and a tracker, possibly an alarm as well?

1 hour ago, mleadbeater said:

Mike

A Denver Boot?

https://products.carmagazine.co.uk/commuters/security/best-wheel-clamps/

Do not buy a cheap one as they are easily removed by looping a rope round and tearing off with a tow vehicle.

That said my cordless angle grinder would probably trump most devices

IMG_2391.jpeg

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Door lock plate.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 549.jpg

That helps explain how it goes together - I was wondering what the plain washer was for. 

Thanks Stuart

1 hour ago, Jonny TR6 said:

That helps explain how it goes together - I was wondering what the plain washer was for. 

Thanks Stuart

Theyre a bit of a fiddle to fit but do work well.

Stuart.