Tight soft top

I have just refitted the soft top on my 6 after running a hard top for the past 5 years. It used to fit well if a little loose but now seems tight. I can put it up but it needs a fair bit more pressure on the front rail to get the latches to slot into the windscreen frame. Anyone any idea why this would be? And perhaps how to solve it. 

Tim

3 hours ago, harlequin said:

Run a fan heater for half an hour in the car, if you have one, then leave the hood up for a few days and it will have stretched to a nice snug fit

George 

+1.  If it is a vinyl hood.   If mohair or double duck then it has shrunk.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks folks. Have left it overnight up with a fan on. 

19 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

+1.  If it is a vinyl hood.   If mohair or double duck then it has shrunk.

For information, worth trying with a mohair hood too. My 3A had one but most of the year it was off the car and I used the tonneau. Virtually impossible to secure the studs on the top of the windscreen frame after its holiday but running a fan heater in the cockpit for about 15 minutes would ease it and enable it to be installed.

Miles

Thanks folks. Left it overnight with a fan heater inside. Double the use as I had also cleaned the carpets as I was swapping out the mx5 seats. Top now closes easily. And the new seats look fab!

Tim

IMG-20240219-WA0000.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Get some APC (all purpose cleaner) on those seats. Here's mine after 20 mins.

IMG_5173.jpeg

IMG_5174.jpeg

IMG_5175.jpeg

Which apc? I've used Muc off since the picture was taken and they look a lot better. But not as good as yours. 

Tim

4 minutes ago, Jonny TR6 said:

I used citrus brite (from memory) - useful on everything !

Was it this?

Screenshot_20240220_172515_Chrome.jpg

That’ll do the trick. I buy 5l at a time. It lasts for years and useful as a pre-wash on the daily drivers, Triumph and VW. It dilutes down something like 100-1.

Don’t get the pre-mixed stuff unless you only intend to use it the one time.

4 minutes ago, Jonny TR6 said:

That’ll do the trick. I buy 5l at a time. It lasts for years and useful as a pre-wash on the daily drivers, Triumph and VW. It dilutes down something like 100-1.

Don’t get the pre-mixed stuff unless you only intend to use it the one time.

Thanks