Hi All

just putting everything back in the boot and noticed rust at the bottom of the petrol tank quick little tickle with the wire brush and apply rust preventer and pain

so i thought now have a leak so tank out 

what is on the market to seal it from the outside ??

cheers

David

An outside seal won't work, any more than a bandage stops bleeding, until the blood clots.    

Tank sealants work by lining the inside, in a similar way!    The sealant covers the hole, grips onto the surround, resists the internal pressure.

I've no experience to quote you best product,  though I fear that a rusty fuel tank, however well sealed, is a hand grenade (or incendiary) with the pin out. it just a matter of how long the fuse.

John

In a word Dave.......DONT!      I would just fit a new tank first as last.

Stuart.

5 hours ago, dblenk said:

Hi All

just putting everything back in the boot and noticed rust at the bottom of the petrol tank quick little tickle with the wire brush and apply rust preventer and pain

so i thought now have a leak so tank out 

what is on the market to seal it from the outside ??

cheers

David

Hi David

I had the same problem last year, purchased a steel TR4A tank from 'Rimmer' and had it fitted with no real problems apart from the fuel pipe outlet that required a slight modification to the boot floor (about 15mm). There are several plugs that are surplus to requirements on the tank both top and bottom, just ensure that they are tight!

Trevor

As above not worth repairing it will only rot out somewhere else.  I'd personally buy a new over secondhand.

Andy 

My TR3 tank was leaking in 1977.  

I took the tank to work one night shift, wire brushed it and smeared the outer surface with Thiokol PR1422 BT1. Which is a 2 part goop aka monkeyshit.   Internally I sloshed 3M EC776 fuel proof coating.  A pouring, brushable lacquer type sealant.
 These were both products we regularly used on aircraft fuel  systems.

I changed the tank in 2018 for an Ali Cool made item, which had the outlet hole 3/4” out of position, because the repaired one had started to weep.

Conclusion.    Nearly 40 year old repair did ok.  

The old tank is up in the rafters of the garage ‘just in case’

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT