Hi all, started looking into why he runs rich and found that there is surprising resistance to  up/down movement of the jet bearing when moving the jet lever by hand when  jet control connecting rod is disconnected. Is this normal? I realise that there are washers and seals which introduce friction resisting the movement but how much and might this be an explanation for running rich? The jet needle looks fine with no ridges and it seemed properly central.

Guess for many of you this is food and drink but never got into the carb inners on my TR2 ( UTU888 ) all those decades ago and despite my senility I'm a carb virgin!!

Regards to all  John Mellor

I can't comment on the TR4A's HS6 carbs as these have a different choke arrangement, however I've had similar issues with my TR4's H6 carbs in the past.  Rich running is sometimes caused by one or both jets not returning fully home after using the choke.  I fixed the issue on mine by polishing the outside of the jets (I held them in a drill and used fine steel wool soaked in polish).  When I first got the car I had one jet that was particularly sticky.  Turned out it was slightly bent and replacing it (and polishing it) solved this problem.

Steve

Thanks Steve, should have said I have a TR4 sounds a good idea to look at that. Did you replace the gaskets and washers as well.

Regards

Yes, I partially rebuilt my carbs a few years back to fix a leak, replaced seals and fitted new jets and needles.  It was after this that the jets started to stick, so I took them out and polished them.  You can remove and refit the jets with the carbs in situ without touching the seals, so you could try this first.  The seals are fairly simple to replace, but you will need to remove the carbs and then reset the mixture afterwards. 

You can order any bits you need direct from Burlens.  They also have rebuild kits:

https://sucarb.co.uk/shop

Steve

Which carb type?

H or HS

I did not think there is a seal between jet and jet bearing tube on HS carbs.  So the friction is either in the mechanism/connecting lever or the jet is seizing in the jet bearing tube

on H type there is a selection of seals   These are now subject to modification with modern fuel proof seals.   Talk to Burlen.  
Items 96/97 in the h type image.

https://sucarb.co.uk/technical-hs-type-carburetter-hs2-hs4-hs6-dismantling

image HS jet arrangements   Has plastic jet base and external tube to float chamber

IMG_2355.png

IMG_2356.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

If any readers are interested, I have a pair of TR4 H6 carbs on a manifold with linkage (I think) looking for a new home.

They are currently with my engine builder, and have been sat on his shelf for ages (about 3 years now) as I don't need them on either racecar. There's a final bit of rebuild to finish them off and then they're ready to be rehomed.

If interested, let me know.

David

Thanks John, this is only 30 minutes away from me

Its good to polish the jet tube with some brasso to make a really smooth surface for the o rings to slide on, and clean the jet holes so they don't cut the o rings when you slide the tube up.  The nice thing about these you don't have to change the brass shaped washers.  The Burlen kit wants all new parts at a very much greater price!

John

On 2/13/2024 at 6:20 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Which carb type?

H or HS

I did not think there is a seal between jet and jet bearing tube on HS carbs.  So the friction is either in the mechanism/connecting lever or the jet is seizing in the jet bearing tube

on H type there is a selection of seals   These are now subject to modification with modern fuel proof seals.   Talk to Burlen.  
Items 96/97 in the h type image.

https://sucarb.co.uk/technical-hs-type-carburetter-hs2-hs4-hs6-dismantling

image HS jet arrangements   Has plastic jet base and external tube to float chamber

IMG_2355.png

IMG_2356.png

I'll second that.  I just rebuilt my HS6'2 and there isn't a seal on the chokes jet arrangement.  Mine were 'sticky' as the actuating levers were slightly bent.  Once straight they work fine.  Hope that helps.

Many thanks, after reassembly it was obvious that there is much less friction in the jet movement. On examination the old cork washers were hard and were, I guess, the main culprit; deposits on moving surfaces of carb can't have helped as well.

I now have a much easier pull on the choke and a lovely blue flame in the Gunson p!ug and nice rhythmic beat of exhaust on idle. Feeling very smug and desperate for dry weather ( Dixon doesn't like getting his feet wet !! )

Regards