Unwanted / damaged or part of a Nokof spinner required.

Some years ago I was very fortunate to acquire a set of Nokof spinners. Back in November at the NEC I spoke with a number of chroming companies about refinishing the 4 spinners. Only one was able to look at chroming them but it turns out to be more complicated than anticipated. I was always under the impression that Nokof spinners were a mazak, like a TR4 rear light body but it appears that the Nokof is a type of aluminium alloy. It is this alloy I would like to identify but to do so I need an odd, broken, or part of a Nokof spinner that can be used for testing. Is there anybody who might have such a part?

Alternatively if anybody has had this dilemma in the past or have an answer please say. I’m really keen to get these spinners back to how they once were, and they will be mounted to original AR magnesium silverstone wheels.

Thanks, Chris.

Sadly I sold my set a few years ago and they don’t appear very often 

Stuart

Hi Chris,

Aluminium alloy !!!  I think not.  Possibly Brass or other copper alloy.  They are heavy.   Maybe an Ali/Nickle/Bronze

How are you going to establish the alloying components?  X-ray spectroscopy is an accurate method.

I have an old spinner here - How much damage will you impart as I think I would like it back after your tests.

Roger

No Roger - those Nokof spinners are lightweight dummies made of mazak-type alloy. They fit to bolt-on wheels to make them look like knock-on. There was a thread about it years ago:

6 hours ago, stuart said:

Sadly I sold my set a few years ago and they don’t appear very often 

Stuart

Don’t be sad Stuart, these were yours! It has just taken me longer than anticipated to get them refurbished or at least ‘try’ to get them professionally refurbed!

I did actually reach out to Tony Sheach last night as i couldn’t think of anybody in a better position to ask. Tony has confirmed that the Nokof spinner is Masak, a very low quality alloy and the spinners were originally high pressure die cast hence the nasty thin alloy. Tony advised that they need to be very carefully stripped and then copper or nickel plating with lots of polishing along the way before chrome plating. It’s all sounding a bit hit and miss at the moment. I want to get the job done properly but it sounds like I’m going to have to keep my fingers crossed.

Hi,

to chrome aluminum, even if before coppered, is a risk that could cost you much money.

The problem is a poor connection with the aluminum. You better think of polishing them and protect them with a clear painting.

Ciao, Marco 

edit: guess why I know

Edited by Z320

An alternative non-destructive cosmetic repair would be to use body-filler  or similar to fill the cracks and get a smooth surface, and then spray with aerosol chrome paint.

Many years ago I used to use a firm in Scotland who would rechrome Mazak they used to copper plate/polish/copper plate/polish ad Infinitum until all the pits were filled and then nickel chrome afterwards, very expensive and I doubt theyre still around as it was forty years ago. I wonder if it might be worth a chat with Pamela Davies enamels who do badge refurbishment as they may have the skills. http://badgecraft.co.uk/

Stuart.