36 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Does that EMI/RFI affect  FM or DAB radios

You might hear it on FM radios if they are close to the source and the radio signal is weak, but not nearly as bad as it was on the old medium-wave ones. One of the original selling points for FM was its relative immunity to AM interference. FM receivers have amplitude-limiting circuits so noise spikes should just get clipped. 

DAB sound shouldn't be affected noise-wise but it depends on the RFI immunity of the processor. If the processor gets confused, you will lose sound altogether in the same way as happens  in low signal-strength areas. 

Edited by RobH
1 hour ago, RobH said:

The faster rise-time of the spark in copper systems apparently does upset some electronic ignitions. It's that fast risetime that interferes with radios too, so it's the same phenomenon. 

Their website says:

"It's very important to verify that your spark plug wires are compatible with the ignition system, or any on-board electronics in general. Solid core wires have a copper or stainless steel conductor and generate excessive Electromagnetic Interference (EMI). This EMI can create confusion with electronics and ultimately damage them. With all PerTronix ignitions we recommend that a suppression style spark plug wire (also called carbon core) be used. The suppression wires do an excellent job of controlling the EMI with no degradation to the ignition performance."

Fitting R-suffix spark plugs which have an internal suppression resistor will do that just as well, as can suppression plug caps or an old-fashioned in-line suppression resistor in the king-lead. Any one of those measures will do the trick. Don't use more than one type of suppression as that just weakens the spark. 

Thank you for the research and info.

On 2/8/2024 at 3:32 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Ed,

how do you suppress radio interference with your leads.  Is it with the 'R' suffix plugs.

Roger

Roger--

I don't run a radio in the TR, so the issue never came up.

I have put a radio in the GT, but haven't  started it yet, so I don't know if it's a problem.  The wire I used is not copper cored, so the extra impedance should limit interference.  If there is still interference, there are still a few things to try, like resistor plugs.

Ed