Rear screen seal

Hi All.

I’m looking for a rear seal for a Surrey top. Part no 902349 I understand that the Moss seal fits perfectly but unfortunately they are out of stock. Has anyone had success with any other suppliers ?

Cheers Mark

20 minutes ago, marki said:

Hi All.

I’m looking for a rear seal for a Surrey top. Part no 902349 I understand that the Moss seal fits perfectly but unfortunately they are out of stock. Has anyone had success with any other suppliers ?

Cheers Mark

In a word no as theyre all too short.

Stuart.

51 minutes ago, roy53 said:

He means like this

P1010373.JPG

Exactly Roy though that also happens when someone who doesnt know buys a Moss seal and then gives it to a window fitter who goes "Its too long, I know we will cut it down so it fits tight round the glass!":(:blink:

Stuart.

Marki. When you get a moss rubber,  if you have not fitted one in before your best following Stuart’s tips I have just done one on my  4a one of the best tips was Durex play lube and washing line.

Mike Redrose Group 

IMG_0309.jpeg

21 hours ago, stuart said:

Exactly Roy though that also happens when someone who doesnt know buys a Moss seal and then gives it to a window fitter who goes "Its too long, I know we will cut it down so it fits tight round the glass!":(:blink:

Stuart.

Mine was not cut and the picture shows after 18 months with only a 2 week holiday in europe and very minimal use after. Always garaged. The splits were a shock.

Roy

23 hours ago, pfenlon said:

My rear seal is Perfect (unusually) but it came with the new Surrey top kits from Revival, maybe they can help out?

Thats because they use the Moss seal Pete.

Stuart.

23 hours ago, marki said:

Thanks for all the replies guys, good idea Pete I’ll give them a call.

You could always try TR Shop as they stock the Moss seal and may just have one. Do ask if it is a Moss one though in case they have another from somewhere else.

Stuart.

5 hours ago, marki said:

Moss now have them back in stock.

Good luck now with fitting the glass, you know the drill ;)

Stuart 

6 minutes ago, marki said:

I’m chickening out, friend is an old windscreen fitter. 

Then make sure you tell him about the sizing of the seal, don’t let him tell you it’s too long!

Stuart

20 hours ago, stuart said:

Then make sure you tell him about the sizing of the seal, don’t let him tell you it’s too long!

Stuart

Will the excess seal be around the sharp bends when installing ?

1 minute ago, marki said:

Will the excess seal be around the sharp bends when installing ?

There isn't any excess, it needs everything it's got to get into those tight forward corners.

Mick Richards

5 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

There isn't any excess, it needs everything it's got to get into those tight forward corners.

Mick Richards

Hi.

Where does the too long come into it ?

cheers Mark

1 minute ago, marki said:

Hi.

Where does the too long come into it ?

cheers Mark

It doesn't, I think (guessing here) that when a screen fitter (or yourself) fits a screen the first job is fit the seal to the screen, and the fit of it suggests it's too long by being somewhat sloppy. (years since I did one).

I think a fitter (I think this is what Stuart gets at) may be tempted to cut the length, to fit it snugly around the screen, which then counter intuitively doesn't provide enough rubber to reach deep into the forward corners of the rear backlight (as per photo above by Rob) which then leaks. The Moss rubber backlight seal is the correct length as supplied.

Mick Richards

30 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

It doesn't, I think (guessing here) that when a screen fitter (or yourself) fits a screen the first job is fit the seal to the screen, and the fit of it suggests it's too long by being somewhat sloppy. (years since I did one).

I think a fitter (I think this is what Stuart gets at) may be tempted to cut the length, to fit it snugly around the screen, which then counter intuitively doesn't provide enough rubber to reach deep into the forward corners of the rear backlight (as per photo above by Rob) which then leaks. The Moss rubber backlight seal is the correct length as supplied.

Mick Richards

Correct Mick, the whole point of the excess that should be as rightly pointed out be distributed equally down in the lower corners is so when fitted it fills the corner properly or you end up with daylight showing. Sadly most screen fitters unless they have fitted one before dont get why the rubber is longer than the glass.

Stuart.

IMG_7128.jpeg

Edited by stuart

Hi just fitted my glass with moss rubber, when you fit it to the glass the excess rubber should be in this position on each side of the glass, as advised by Stuart don’t forget the Durex play lube it does work well.

Mike Redrose Group 

IMG_4170.jpeg