Evening peeps

Went to have a drive in my TR3 yesterday but did make it out of the shed. Absolutely no contact in the clutch even when let all the way out. 

As I'd had a problem last year with the slave mater cylinder I bled that again and that did allow the clutch to engage enough to roll out of the shed, but as last time I had this problem, there was a nasty metallic snap from under the car. So reversed it back into the shed. Checked the brake/ clutch fluid and that was about an inch and a half from the top. 

Does this sound like a typical slave mater cylinder failure? I've read that it can also be rebuilt with a repair kit. Is that worth doing or is it better to just change it out?

Many thanks

Clive

Could be the  flexible rubber pipe has shed rubber internally & blocked it's self, or a blockage in the master cylinder not allowing fluid to return to the resovoir, or a mechanical siezure in the slave cylinder. 1st step slacken the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder, & release any pressure in there, then see if you have drive (without pressing the pedal yet) do this in gear, wire to coil disconected, & with the started motor, so the engine won't start.

Bob

Hi Clive 

I might be reading this wrong but surely the clutch is always engaged against the flywheel and should only disengage when you press in the clutch pedal? 

Could you engage a gear with the same engine running but there was no take up / forward motion when you let out the pedal? 

Best,

Eli 

From the description of the fault Eli, it reads that the clutch remains operated i.e. the slave cylinder is not returning properly to the 'rest' position so there is no drive. Clive bled the cylinder which let the pressure out and then the clutch did engaged with the flywheel, which means the fluid is not returning properly to the master cylinder.  As Bob says - that may be due to a blockage in the flexy hose, etc. 

It is also possible that adjustment of the pedal drive rod to the master cylinder is wrong,  so that the piston cannot retract fully.

I had some similar problems with my clutch. In the end I replaced the flexible pipe and mounted the slave cylinder on the plate on the CORRECT side of the gearbox. I have had no more problems for at least 5 years.

It may be worth a bit of research

Good luck Richard & B

21 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

I had some similar problems with my clutch. In the end I replaced the flexible pipe and mounted the slave cylinder on the plate on the CORRECT side of the gearbox. I have had no more problems for at least 5 years.

It may be worth a bit of research

Good luck Richard & B

That sounds controversial! Was it straight forward? I take it it improves on the original slave position? 

Clive

9 hours ago, RobH said:

From the description of the fault Eli, it reads that the clutch remains operated i.e. the slave cylinder is not returning properly to the 'rest' position so there is no drive. Clive bled the cylinder which let the pressure out and then the clutch did engaged with the flywheel, which means the fluid is not returning properly to the master cylinder.  As Bob says - that may be due to a blockage in the flexy hose, etc. 

It is also possible that adjustment of the pedal drive rod to the master cylinder is wrong,  so that the piston cannot retract fully.

We have had this issue before.   Renewing the clutch slave flexible hose fixed the problem.

The improvement was having the slave cylinder mounted in the correct position which would be the " original slave position " and not the position that I chose firstly which was not correct. The length of the push rod is also important and must be adjusted correctly.

My clutch works vey well and I remember struggling with it in the past.

Good luck Richard & B

13 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

The improvement was having the slave cylinder mounted in the correct position which would be the " original slave position " and not the position that I chose firstly which was not correct. The length of the push rod is also important and must be adjusted correctly.

My clutch works vey well and I remember struggling with it in the past.

Good luck Richard & B

Many thanks Richard.