Missed Opportunity

It was stated on the BBC news today that our monarch KC3 has an enlarged prostate

They could have pushed the boat out with headlines   That Charles has a King Sized prostate.

But they didn't

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Why do they feel the need to tell us that - I for one don't really want to know.

Is it medically driven nannyism to encourage others to be checked ?  :huh: 

Edited by RobH
edited to use right word

His is enlarged is it? . . . . . . He should count himself lucky, mine is like a walnut and as useful as a chocolate teapot

12 hours ago, RobH said:

Why do they feel the need to tell us that - I for one don't really want to know.

Is it medically driven big-brotherism to encourage others to be checked ?  :huh: 

Reportedly, the King thought that there was a value in publicising his condition and treatment given the prevalence of prostate cancer in the country (and perhaps the reluctance of men in particular to address medical issues!). Many men will die with prostate cancer but a significant number (about 12,000 a year) will die from prostate cancer. A proportion of those deaths can be avoided by early diagnosis and treatment.

So one can characterise the King’s decision as an encouragement to others to get checked. Whether that is medical “big brotherism” or simply a victim sharing his experience potentially for the benefit of others is a personal judgement call. Personally, I am always suspicious of the former but am prepared to accept the King’s statement as the latter. 

Card’s on the table here. I was diagnosed 7 years ago with prostate cancer following annual heath checks. Despite that regular scrutiny it was so advanced that immediate removal was the only option, otherwise I might have been another of the 12,000. Hence my sympathetic view of the King’s statement and my advocacy to peers to be alert to this issue. Given the demographic of this Forum I hope that one of us will be heeded. 

Miles

Lighten up Miles - my comment was made tongue-in-cheek  ( and I used the wrong word - I meant Nannyism, which it is ). I also have had different but sizeable parts of my anatomy removed for related reasons so I do have relevant experience. Nonetheless, call me old-fashioned but I still find it a bit strange to read highly personal details like this in my daily newspaper.  

Of course men should get checked for this - for the reasons you state - and also should be checked for other potentially serious things.

Prostate cancer as such will not kill you.

It is when it spreads (and it will, given time) to other parts of the body the trouble starts.

Thankfully the medication, surgical and Radiotherapy procedures are improving all the time and successful outcomes are happening in very bad situations.

My Prostate is now in a pickle jar in  a lab having had it removed.  The op and after effects was not pain free but did not last long ( 5 days).

However should you need to attack the cancer itself then it is a bigger battle ( Ouch). The outcome is usually good but it takes time.

Get your PSA tested NOW 

Roger

Edited by RogerH

OK, "Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say "These wounds I had on Crispin's day." "   Or rather on Prostate Day.

In my case I've avoided the Knife, as mine is, like the Monarch, Benign Prostate Enlargement.   But as Miles says, 80% of men aged over 80 have prostate cancer, but die of something else.   Me, I take the tablets and have an annual Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test.  It's crude but the best we've got for  a screening test.

John

PS if you do need someone to get right up there, sing a little song to take your mind off it. 

One finger, one thumb keep moving
We'll all be happy and bright!

But don't get to the last verse!

On 1/18/2024 at 10:20 AM, RobH said:

Lighten up Miles - my comment was made tongue-in-cheek  ( and I used the wrong word - I meant Nannyism, which it is ). I also have had different but sizeable parts of my anatomy removed for related reasons so I do have relevant experience. Nonetheless, call me old-fashioned but I still find it a bit strange to read highly personal details like this in my daily newspaper.  

Of course men should get checked for this - for the reasons you state - and also should be checked for other potentially serious things.

Ah, well, didn't mean it to be a heavy response Rob but sometimes the latent lawyer kicks in. Think we are all on the same page though and that encouraging chaps to get checked out is a 'good thing'. As for Nannyism, that would be worth a whole separate discussion thread that I think would fill up pretty quickly.

Miles