Hi, have a  1964 TR4 with a  type gearbox and overdrive.

There appears to be 2 "senders" attached to the gearbox - top and side. I have tried to photo them as attached.

Can anyone tell me what their function is. your thoughts much appreciated.  Thx Rob

20231204_141654.jpg

20231204_141616.jpg

20231204_141639.jpg

Rob - as you say it's a J type overdrive - I don't think it's a later TR6 one as the plate in front of the gear lever wasn't used on those gearboxes. The isolator switch ( you called it a sender) on the top works 3rd and 4th OD - the switch on the side operates reversing lights ( if you have them).

There's nothing wrong with this unit as such - apart from the fact you haven't got OD on 2nd ( you can make it do that if you want), there has to be some modification to the original unit to make it suitable for TR use - it depends how far those mods went as to whether you can use a TR clutch plate and whether your speedo is accurate .

If you want a more accurate ID of the box, it's serial number is usually stamped on the boss of the clutch cross shaft whete it comes through the bell housing - it could be on either side. The OD should have a small rectangular plate rivetted on the offside of the OD unit and will start with either 25 or 28 followed by two lots of numbers which ID the original model it started life in.

Cheers Rich ( Roger beat me to the switches answer!)

I think that maybe wrongly mounted too, it looks as if theyve used the lower casing bolts of the tail housing and bracketed it onto the original "A" type mount solidly.:blink:

Stuart.

Just now, TR4'er said:

Thanks so much to @RogerHand to @rich for your comments - short and sweet.

Onwards and underneath the TR again. Rob.

See my above comment.

Stuart.

27 minutes ago, stuart said:

I think that maybe wrongly mounted too, it looks as if theyve used the lower casing bolts of the tail housing and bracketed it onto the original "A" type mount solidly.

Yes it does look like it

gbm.thumb.jpg.c8bd5d6008a09cb85d48f74baec8634a.jpg

19 minutes ago, RobH said:

Yes it does look like it

gbm.thumb.jpg.c8bd5d6008a09cb85d48f74baec8634a.jpg

I have just had a chat with OP about that and he`s going to sort it.

Stuart.