Standard centre pipe mounting bracket 72 CP

I’m missing the centre bracket for my 72 CP. I have a tubular 6 branch manifold which has 2 collectors for 3 pipes and the collectors then go into a single centre pipe each, which run to the silencer.

I understand that there should be a bracket that holds the centre pipes somewhere around the gearbox, but looking online there seem to be a number of options and I need to know which one I need.

There’s a cotton reel rubber with an unused bolt, but this is a short distance away from the tangs on the centre pipes.

A couple of pics shown if they’re any help.

Many thanks

Jonny

689AF3CE-8662-46D6-9A44-2B296BEC7AA9.jpeg

E106003F-0BBB-4EFA-8187-D72AEE169BD1.jpeg

Thanks Andy - useful to know.

Might fabricate something to give it some support. It’s a long old run from the manifolds to the rear bracket.

The gearbox exhaust mounting is a solid fixing that relies on the gearbox and engine mountings to isolate the exhaust from the body/chassis. So your cotton reel is non standard.

There are a couple of arrangements as supplied from the factory but ofcourse they are for standard exhaust systems, I made mine to hang from one of the long studs that holds the overdrive to the gearbox. Although this mounting point is not essential it does help to make the overall feel of the car that little bit more solid.

George 

That looks like a J Type overdrive.

this is the factory exhaust mount arrangement at the gearbox rear with bracket 55 bolting to one of the studs on the overdrive casing.

IMG_2268.jpeg

Brilliant - many thanks Peter.

Good spot on the J type OD as well.

Now to get it all ordered !

Edited by Jonny TR6

That is similar to what I have but I found parts 56 and 57 very flimsy so made my own from slightly thicker material.

Also because it is very fiddly to work on the mounting  I welded nuts 61 and 65 to the angle plate 56 which makes things much easier if you ever have to remove the exhaust 

George 

Thanks George - that’s useful. 

Decided to get it all made up in stainless. Weld on captive nuts on 56 and put two holes on 55.

That way 56 will only have 1 vertical hole, with the captive nut and the adjustment can be made with the 2 holes on 55, which as you say, will be a lot less fiddly.

That was a nice head scratcher to solve !

Edited by Jonny TR6

Your cleanliness is putting me to shame !

Having the full set of brackets made up. £30 for them all including welding on the captive nuts.

2mm stainless for the main brackets and 3mm for the hanger strap, although I may need to revise the strap thickness, given there’s not much of the stud sticking out. I assume it can be wound out a bit if needs be ?

Picked up the brackets today and there seems to have been an error in transmission between the boss and the fab chappy. They’ve ended up making them in mild steel.

They’re re-doing them, but it means I’m left with 3 brackets (at no cost to me) which are up for grabs.

If anyone wants them I’ll pop them in the post f.o.c to save them going in the bin.

If you do pm me, please pop up a post on this thread as well to let me know.

Edited by Jonny TR6