I am considering upgrading from a TR6 to a TR5.  The TR5 I have seen has a broken heater matrix.  I realise this is a pricey and complicated part to replace, but I would like to know if the broken heater matrix would have any implications on the engine block. 

If any members have any knowledge of this I would be most grateful for your thoughts  

Thank you.  

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey

Depends how its failed if its just a slow leak and being recognised early the block is likely ok. Even if it failed completely in one goI'm sure the driver with a scolded foot and steam from the dash they would have stopped I suspect before any major damaged. It may also just be a pipe that has a leak or needs a new jubilee clip where it attaches to the matrix under the dash?

If your considering buying it its a negotiation factor but in the grand scheme of how much a TR5 costs its small beer. It's not complicated just labour intensive and therefore costly unless you do it yourself as the dash has to come out. No different to your present 6, if it is different I'm sure others will advise. The only issue I had on the 6 was the nuts that attach the heater box to the bulkhead were rusted so be careful you don't shear the studs as you will then have to weld new ones into place. That is if none knows of another fix.

Once it's off it's an easy replace and a chance to refresh the unit and consider fitting a better fan (Spal). Plenty of info on how and what.

Andy

11 hours ago, PodOne said:

Hi Geoffrey

Depends how its failed if its just a slow leak and being recognised early the block is likely ok. Even if it failed completely in one goI'm sure the driver with a scolded foot and steam from the dash they would have stopped I suspect before any major damaged. It may also just be a pipe that has a leak or needs a new jubilee clip where it attaches to the matrix under the dash?

If your considering buying it its a negotiation factor but in the grand scheme of how much a TR5 costs its small beer. It's not complicated just labour intensive and therefore costly unless you do it yourself as the dash has to come out. No different to your present 6, if it is different I'm sure others will advise. The only issue I had on the 6 was the nuts that attach the heater box to the bulkhead were rusted so be careful you don't shear the studs as you will then have to weld new ones into place. That is if none knows of another fix.

Once it's off it's an easy replace and a chance to refresh the unit and consider fitting a better fan (Spal). Plenty of info on how and what.

Andy

Hello Andy,

Thanks very much for your reply.  Appreciated.   

Assuming it's the original matrix, its over 50 years old so I wouldn't overly worry that it is indicative of more widespread corrosion.

The element is £70 or so but a pain to strip out the heater unit, pull apart and reinstall. Uprated heaters are probably not worth it as the original ones aren't bad in the 5s & 6s.
The case for an expensive Clayton heater is not strong other than in the sidescreen cars, where the upgrade is substantial.

When you do it, replace the two hoses from the bulkhead to the heater - it might be worth checking it's not one of those that's leaking.

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

When you do it, replace the two hoses from the bulkhead to the heater - it might be worth checking it's not one of those that's leaking.

Also replace the bulkhead adaptor plate as they rot for a pastime! Item No 28 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/heating-ventilation/heaters-vents-fittings/heater-system-tr5-6-1967-76.html

Stuart.

The heater removal on the TR4 - 5 is surrounded in mystery and anecdotal dread.

It tackled calmly and logical it is not a bad jobl

2 rubber pipes that are cut off (they are usually old and crusty.

Three screws/nuts

A bit of furniture and cables to be cleared.

The last time I removed/fitted my gear box I took the heater out to give more access.   Added about 30 minutes to the whole job.

Roger

14 hours ago, RogerH said:

Three screws/nuts

The last time I removed/fitted my gear box I took the heater out to give more access.   Added about 30 minutes to the whole job.

Roger

Thank you.  

14 hours ago, RogerH said:

Three screws/nuts

Roger

Thank you.