Gear selector and fuel pump

Went to pick up my 4a from Simon at Worcester Classic Cars this morning, he had fitted a new top cover and gear selector rebuilt by Peter Cox, who is just down the road from here.

Set off home and about five miles in the engine ground to a halt.  The SU electric fuel pump had given up the ghost, quick call to Simon and he came out with the trailer and we went back to his works.  So taxi home and wait for a new pump to be fitted.  

On the plus side, the new selector mechanism is superb!

Colin - is there a particular reason why you did away with a mechanical pump - I know the repros don't have a particularly good reputation, but the original AC Delco pumps were pretty reliable over many years.

Cheers Rich

1 hour ago, Colin Symonds said:

A previous PO changed it to the SU.   In the large file of paperwork that came with the car dating back to 1971 it's about the only item that isn't listed.  The SU has worked perfectly until now.

Colin  - that's as good a reason as any! Do bear in mind, for modern safety's sake, to fit an accident impact circuit breaker so the power is cut off to the pump in the event of an accident - I know all the old classics from the 50s/60s/70s which ran SU electric pumps didn't have one but all moderns do - admittedly their fuel systems do run at higher pressures that the old systems

Cheers Rich

i used to run 2 lecy pumps in my Avenger. wired and relayed separately but thro 1  3 way switch on /off /on. so you could not run 2 pumps at once. Also had 2 filters.  A simple one from the tank before the pumps and a Malpas filter king under the bonnet pressure eventually set at 3.9 PSI feeding 2 off 45 webbers and yes it makes a lot of sense to have modern cut of switches in case of an accident.

Phil

On 12/13/2023 at 2:15 PM, phil Dean said:

i used to run 2 lecy pumps in my Avenger. wired and relayed separately but thro 1  3 way switch on /off /on. so you could not run 2 pumps at once. Also had 2 filters.  A simple one from the tank before the pumps and a Malpas filter king under the bonnet pressure eventually set at 3.9 PSI feeding 2 off 45 webbers and yes it makes a lot of sense to have modern cut of switches in case of an accident.

The Filter Kings now have a poor reputation in the corner of the historics rally scene that I inhabit. I've had one fail (not on TR, but on a Volvo with twin SUs and electric pumps) resulting in fuel starvation until bypassing the thing, and I know two other people with similar failures recently. I don't if the issue is knock-off products or manufacturing issues on the genuine ones, but I'm now leery of them. On the Volvo I junked the thing, run it now just with a paper filter and it's now sweet as a nut.

Just saying. 

Nigel