Fitting hard top and rear seals

Hi all.

I am about to reassemble my hard top. I have a new set of seals. Can anyone tell me which way around the rear seals should be fitted. Also where to attach the side rear seals as they are presumably just glued on.

Also any advice on the actual fitting onto the car.

Thank

Colin.

• 1 month later...

Hi Colin,

I was just about to post on the same subject and came across your question as I am also refurbishing a hard top.

I believe the side rubbers are glued but I'm not sure of their location or orientation.

Attached a copy of pics. 

Can anyone advise ...Are they fitted cabin side or outer edge, and which direction is the chamfer.

Many thanks

Phil

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

Thanks Chris, the details are very informative, particularly the fixings.

But I'm still a bit confused about the location. Sorry to go on !

Pic 1 shows rear seal

Pic 2 profile of side seal

Pic 3 Installation to outer edge ( i think this is correct as it stands just proud of the edge of the hardtop)

Pic 4 Side seal fitted to inner edge

Pic 5 from Elin's site Rusty Beauties shown to inner edge 

IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

The 2 round rubber buffers on the rear section and the two 1/4” -3/8” thick foam pads above the B post are quite important to stop the hard top frame scuffing the rear deck as the shell flexes.

Do not forget to set the screwed adjuster ferrules that the rear mounting bolts pass through to give a minimum 1/10” clearance deck to hard top edge or it will definitely scuff.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Chris,

That's  Fantastic, just what I needed, thank you so much, the earlier picture you sent now makes more sense.

Looks like you have added another element to the rear bumpers , a softer rubber over sleeve ?

Assume the small circular pads are to protect the hood poppers, might have to fashion something for those.

I'm sure your post will be a great benefit to Colin and everyone using the winter months to refurbish hard tops..

Thanks for taking the time.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Sorry to join this subject late but I have been out of the country and could not join in .

I have now completed my hard top renovation and am pleased with the results. I finished putting the front under seals glued to the outer wall with the lower bead to the outside.  I’m not sure if that was right but at the time I couldn’t find the official instructions. It all seemed fine.

I had two problems during the process. I purchased a new headlining from Rimmers. The actual headline material was fine but it was very mean on size so was difficult to get into the right position  I finished up having to add some small pieces around the lower corner of the windows . I also had a real issue with the flat pieces that are glued to the deck face area’s.. These were just the wrong shape and much too big. I have talked to Rimmers to let them know that the shape is incorrect..

The other problem I had was fitting the top to the car. I thought it would just line up and fitting would be simple. How wrong I was. I really struggled to get the six fittings to line up.  I n the end I made two long studs from treaded bar and screwed them into the front windscreen captive nuts.  Then the top went on and I could twist it around until the other bolts lined up.

Hope this helps and thanks to all who have commented.

Hi Colin,

I too had a problem with the headlining, from another supplier, but possibly the same producer. Same issues as you. I returned the headliner and am having one made by John Skinner of Cheltenham, so the project has been delayed somewhat.

I assume the threaded bar was screwed into the hardtop captive nuts and then passed through the holes in the chrome header rail on the car to assist with the lining up. Good tip.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I too am having a few issues, looking at the 2 rear bolts, centre rear of the back screen. I don't appear to have any holes for these to screw ingo??

Is anyone able to give me some guidance please, I purchased the hard top including fittings and 73 did had a soft top when I got it. To me they seem like height adjusters?.

Any help would be appreciated

Greg

Greg,

you need to remove the strip that clamps the soft-top to the rear valence. The HT will bolt onto two of the nuts that now come free.

Waldi