Overtaking mirror for 4A

For 52 years I have eschewed any exterior mirrors on my car, preferring not to spoil Michelotti's classic lines. Having almost 360 degree vision, courtesy of the rear Surrey screen, I found a glance over the shoulder allowed me to check the blind spot before positioning for an overtake. In anticipation of reduced mobility with advancing years I am beginning to wonder whether an overtaking mirror might not be a bad idea after all. I do not want to drill the door or front wing to fix a mirror and found the attached on eBay, claimed to fit the TR4 amongst a myriad of other cars. Does anyone on here have experience of fitting such a mirror to a Michelotti car? How can it be secured to the 'A' post without interfering with travel of the door glass?

Tim

285131101748.htm

Hi Tim,

with the lunatics on our roads you are a brave man not to have at least the overtaking mirror.

I have mirrors on both sides (on the TR4 & 4A)    

So as to get an excellent view I went for Audi TT series 1 door mirrors.  They have a similar shape to the bonnet bulge.

Roger

9 hours ago, tim hunt said:

For 52 years I have eschewed any exterior mirrors on my car, preferring not to spoil Michelotti's classic lines. Having almost 360 degree vision, courtesy of the rear Surrey screen, I found a glance over the shoulder allowed me to check the blind spot before positioning for an overtake. In anticipation of reduced mobility with advancing years I am beginning to wonder whether an overtaking mirror might not be a bad idea after all. I do not want to drill the door or front wing to fix a mirror and found the attached on eBay, claimed to fit the TR4 amongst a myriad of other cars. Does anyone on here have experience of fitting such a mirror to a Michelotti car? How can it be secured to the 'A' post without interfering with travel of the door glass?

Tim

285131101748.htm 555.6 kB · 18 downloads

Can anyone on here explain why these sort of attachments won’t open on my iPhone ??

1 hour ago, TR Rob said:

Can anyone on here explain why these sort of attachments won’t open on my iPhone ??

It's an HTM file, not a .jpg  so needs to be opened in its own browser tab. You have to download it and then open it from the downloads folder. 

Edited by RobH
13 hours ago, tim hunt said:

Tim

285131101748.htm 555.6 kB · 58 downloads

You would have a great deal of difficulty fitting that Im afraid. I went for a newer version of the mirrors mine came back from the US with, available from Car builder solutions, https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/chrome-rectangular-pedestal-mirror-135mm they come as a pair and although fixed give a great field of view to cope with the eejits on the road these days. I do realise your not keen on drilling the doors but it is really the only sensible way to go.

Stuart.

photo1828.thumb.jpg.b6965fc2a5230e0713c4475932b699ba.jpg