Stormy weather

We were away in Devon over the weekend near Exeter. We made it home early this week.  I am  now in East Sussex and was out with my dog this afternoon. The weather began to close in and it was cold and wet.  The wind was strong and the ground was very soft and all streams and ditches were flowing faster than normal.  We made it home before the  heavy rain. 

Unfortunately I parked the VW Passat close to the garage up-and-over. One of the rear tyres is flat and I need to get into the garage to find the hydraulic jack, special spanner and the spare wheel. It will have to be tomorrow. Luckily we have milk, bread, a freezer with treats inside and enough logs for a few days. Is there any reasonable TV on tonight ?

Will the weather get worse ??

Thanks Richard & B

It was pretty wild, wet and windy last night just along the coast from you here in West Sussex Richard.

It's all calmed down a bit although the back half of the storm got the breeze up this afternoon and brought more rain.

The River Arun is running very high and the flood plain/water meadows between Amberley/Bury and Pulborough are filling up. I can't get to the river bank without wading through water at the moment

There's more heavy rain due over the weekend so it will only get worse/better depending on your view and whether you're a duck. I did see one of the White Tailed Eagles flying over the water meadows between Bury and Amberley this morning.

Maddy's brother lives on top of the hill above Paignton - he reported that the sea in Torbay had turned red.

Not blood - the soil in that part of the country is that colour.

Ian Cornish

We always had our Summer holiday in Paignton when I was a child and I remember that red soil. My Grandparents lived there, hence the reason for the Summer visits, their bungalow was on Primley Park  - one of the steepest streets/hills around.

We have often watched a webcam overlooking Dawlish sea front during the construction of the new seawall. The wind and waves at high tide on Thur morning, were the the worst I have ever observed. The new seawall was undamaged but some of the old seawall was damaged.

Link to webcam:  

On 11/3/2023 at 1:26 PM, Rod1883 said:

We always had our Summer holiday in Paignton when I was a child and I remember that red soil. My Grandparents lived there, hence the reason for the Summer visits, their bungalow was on Primley Park  - one of the steepest streets/hills around.

There was a garage virtually opposite that road, Elmbank garage where I saw my first TR,  swapped it for a Hillman Hunter a few weeks later they / the garage parked on that hill the hand break released or cable broke it rolled down that hill and was wrecked completely. I still had the TR4a. A great swap, and a start of a long term relationship with TR’s.:)

IMG_4359.png

Edited by Misfit