Thin Belt Bottom Pulley question.

I have just started to fit the ali bottom pulley for the thin belt conversion,and I am concerned how close the bolt heads are to the timing cover. When I took the old s/metal one of the bolts were on the front of the pulley facing the engine with the nylocs on the back of the pulley. The manual shows them the other way round bolts facing forward but with the washers and nylocs facing the engine. The only difference I have made is to use the standard washers on the bolt end not the nyloc end because we are working with Ali and pressure under a certain point can cause it to crack by adding washers you spread the load. I haven't torqued the bolts up yet but they are spanner tight and I havent talked the dog bolt up yet.

Also the torque settings for the original pulley is 16-18 ibs ft is this still ok with an aluminium pulley.

You wouldn't believe I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to clean the front of the engine bay up. Before refitting

Anybody got any suggestions is this the way other people do it.

1567167653_bottompulleycloseup2.thumb.jpeg.ff2286b32bb224c11b0278efab310653.jpeg

1894303233_bottompulleywithdims2.jpg.4dd63d60494d48838197e60622056c79.jpg

Edited by phil Dean

I could be wrong, but the pulley looks too close to the front of the engine to me - the timing pointer, I think should not protrude as far over the pulley as yours seems too.  could there be a spacer missing ?

Bob

Think I’d use shorter bolts And on my last engine I had the nuts on the back. 

edit

i think Bob is right. 
these are my 2 engines during the swap. Point is on the inner lip of the pulley only. 

F28C39C7-9DFE-4C52-8A53-BC1E6061B082.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Pic