Croft, Saturday 14th October

The CSCC have a race meeting at Croft, Nr Darlington on Sat 14th Oct. 
Two Swinging 60s races. Three TRs among Gp 2  entry in race with Future Classics and Modern Classics, total grid 39 cars. 
The other Gp 1 race has full grid of 40 smaller engine cars, including 3 No TR4s in the Classic K entry. 
All enthusiasts welcome to spectate. 
Dave McD

Edited by Dave McDonald
  • 2 weeks later...

Good to see you & Bailey last weekend, Dave. Hope you both had fun? 

I've got a couple of in-car videos from last weekend - the first from the combined Classic K and Group 1 Swinging 60's race in Mark (Campbell)'s TR4, the second from his TR5 in the combined Swniging 60's Group 2, Modern & Future Classics. 

Mark & I shared the Classic K race in the TR4, and he came in for the driver change early on in the race on lap 8, to give me a longer stint, as he wanted to do the 60's Grp2 race solo. It was certainly interesting being mixed in with the lightweight Group 1 cars on modern Yokohama tyres, when the Classic K cars were running Dunlop cross-plies! The corner speeds were very different and the straight line speed much the same. We both had a good run but unfortunately we accidentally cut the pit stop short by 4 seconds (mandatory 1:30 time in the pitlane, entry to exit. Quite hard to judge! 1 minute stationary stops are a lot easier to time! The penalty for a short stop is 30 seconds plus the error time of 4 secs, which unfortunately dropped us down from 1st in class to 2nd and 4th overall in Classic K to 6th. Oh well! With a light fuel load and a bit of clear space I managed to set our fastest lap on the last lap, which I was really pleased with. Mark is experimenting with the suspension setup on the car, making it softer at each meeting. This works well with the cross-ply tyres and their limited grip, but we've maybe gone a touch too far now, so there will be more tweaks next season!

Ben

97699053-C+14-10-23+0252.JPG

Edited by Revival Motorsport

Now for the Swinging 60's Group 2 race. Mark qualified 9th on the combine grid and 1st of the Swinging 60's (by 0.1 secs!). In the race he got an excellent start and as you'll see in the video, progressively made his way through the pack. 

He also had a 20 second success penalty to serve, from his last win at Oulton Park, so at the start of the race we had no idea where he might finish! However, he was lucky that he was able to pit during a "Code 60" flag (basically a virtual safety car, where everyone must maintain their track position & gap to the car in front and maintain a speed of 60 km/h).  This effectively nullified the 20 sec penalty and he was able to get back out on track at full race pace. 

Some of the more powerful cars had problems and Mark was able to secure a race win in the Swinging 60's and 2nd overall in the combined race, 38 secs behind the Porsche 944 Turbo of Richard Harman after 40 minutes. 

On the day of the race I fitted a newly acquired knock-off Go Pro... I hadn't had chance to try different setups so unfortunately the sound is terrible and the picture a bit wobbly, but I'll address this next time out. Here are the opening few laps:

Cheers, Ben

PXL_20231014_163251478.jpg

Hi Ben, 

Glad you had a good outing in TR4 and well done with cars’ fastest lap. 
Marks’ performance in the 5 in the S60s was beyond remarkable against such strong opposition. 
Can’t say we particularly enjoyed the experience, without the 5s’ well sorted set up and Marks’ undoubted skill behind the wheel, our TR6 was beaten by most of the Future Classics and overwhelmed by the vast majority of the Modern Classics. Towards end of race I spent most of my time looking in rear view mirror and having blue flags waved at me to allow faster cars to overtake. 
Not an experience we’ll be repeating if those three grids are amalgamated again. 
Bailey sorts out Go Pro camera out. The mount in broke in qualifying with camera landing on car floor but fortunately we had a spare mount for race. As we’re an open car wind noise was a major problem initially when we fitted it first time at end of last season, but he sorted out the sound with a cheap as chips foam rubber surround. 
Look forward to seeing you out next season. 
Dave McD

Dave 

i enjoyed the day out although i bit cold by the end of the day

enjoyed the tour of your car and your set up

yes that 5 ran very well

Ben was very young last i saw him

if you are all back i will return to watch

i posted some pics on where did you go with your TR

David

On 10/21/2023 at 10:53 AM, Revival Motorsport said:

Now for the Swinging 60's Group 2 race. Mark qualified 9th on the combine grid and 1st of the Swinging 60's (by 0.1 secs!). In the race he got an excellent start and as you'll see in the video, progressively made his way through the pack. 

He also had a 20 second success penalty to serve, from his last win at Oulton Park, so at the start of the race we had no idea where he might finish! However, he was lucky that he was able to pit during a "Code 60" flag (basically a virtual safety car, where everyone must maintain their track position & gap to the car in front and maintain a speed of 60 km/h).  This effectively nullified the 20 sec penalty and he was able to get back out on track at full race pace. 

Some of the more powerful cars had problems and Mark was able to secure a race win in the Swinging 60's and 2nd overall in the combined race, 38 secs behind the Porsche 944 Turbo of Richard Harman after 40 minutes. 

On the day of the race I fitted a newly acquired knock-off Go Pro... I hadn't had chance to try different setups so unfortunately the sound is terrible and the picture a bit wobbly, but I'll address this next time out. Here are the opening few laps:

Cheers, Ben

PXL_20231014_163251478.jpg

Hi Ben,

The 5 is mega !

Cheers.