Spark Plug [crush washer] tightness / torque

I searched this site but nothing popped up within the first few pages of results, so asking here...

TR6, NGK 14mm thread spark plugs (with the usual flat gasket / crush washers), recommended torque wrench setting : 18-25.3 lb.ft. (or 216 - 303.6 Ib.inch).

Ok, my 3/8" wrench is in Ib.inch (and not that long, 11"), I set it to 240 Ib.inch (20 lb.ft).

As everyone is saying 'don't overtighten!', I'm super cautious , finger tight, then turn with the wrench 1/2 turn extra, a bit more to 2/3 turn, 20 lb.ft seems to come in further still, maybe a whole turn ...at which point I can feel the crush washer depress, then tightness is fast.

I read that for the plug to correctly dissipate heat the crush washer must be flattened, but that feels like quite a lot of force, not light pressure, not strong pressure, on the wrench, but nevertheless some force to get to the scary 'crush washer' stage.

I actually felt that 15 lb.ft (180 Ib.inch) was enough for 'me', and was 2/3rd of a turn extra from finger tight, but the 'crush washer feel' was a long way away.

Do I need to crush the crush washer?, which does feel like it need quite some scary pull on a 11" long wrench.

Do you always pull hard enough on a wrench (torque wrench or not) to crush your crush washer spark plugs?!

Edited by Jules TR6
24 minutes ago, Jules TR6 said:

I read that for the plug to correctly dissipate heat the crush washer must be flattened

Once the washer is crushed, it stays crushed so you won't feel it yield again after the first use.  Just use the lowest recommended torque. 

I pinch tighten new plugs to just start crushing the washer and no more.  I've not measured it but I'd be surprised if they were more that 10 ft.lb. and yet they seal well and don't unscrew in use.  As the plugs are repeatedly removed and refitted over the months and years, as Rob says, the washer is crushed and stays crushed, so each time I guess I'm tightening them just a little more ..until after four or five times the washer is mostlt flattened and so I tighten it more to seal.   I've never noticed the plug overheating because it's not been screwed in tighter, nor do I notice blowby of gases.  I do however use coppaslip on those threads and that would reduce any torque setting recorded (for the same factor of crushing).

Pete

10 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

You used to be able to buy the crush washers as a spare part.   Probably still can.

https://www.gsparkplug.com/10x-spark-plug-steel-crushable-washers-14mm.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzrGkjYLhgQMVw_ntCh3plAyEEAQYAyABEgKx5PD_BwE

cheap as..

I remember being told that if it was a new plug, screw in until the washer makes contact with the head, then a further half turn was enough. If re fitting a used plug make contact and then just a further quarter turn. Used that method for 50 years and never stripped a thread nor had a plug come loose.

Ralph