Anti-theft for your TR

My fuel cut-out is a delayed action unit in that it will allow starting of the car but cuts-out a short while down the road leaving the car stranded. I guess it could be a problem if it stops in the wrong place but at least they cannot drive very far.

Ages ago I mentioned an idea that I had and got a fairly negative reply. I’ll say it again though because it will work.

Peel back the carpet at the end of the gearbox and remove the rubber bung. Get a length of ¼ inch steel rod, about 12 inches long and poke it through the yoke on the propshaft between the gearbox and the shaft. (It needs to be long enough to reach the road beneath with a few inches sticking out above the propshaft.) Peel back the carpet to where it should be.

If anyone tries to steal the car it will, in effect, act as a brake on the propshaft. Yes, it may well bend the rod and be a bit difficult to untangle, but you will still have the car.

The reply I got before went something along the lines of “Yes, do that and it will wreck your transmission.”
Well, hardly wreck it, and I’d rather have a “Wrecked transmission” than a stolen car.

I also mentioned in another thread that I once had a convertible London Taxi stolen in Athens. It was never seen again. I can tell you that even though it was 35 years ago it still makes me angry to think about it. If you have never had a “Cherished car” stolen, you won’t understand.

If people are prepared to steal a convertible London taxi, they will steal anything!

A variation on the theme is to make a shorter version of the classic TR jack. The sort that goes through the floor. (Only works on cars up to TR4) Fit it in place, wind it down just enough to lift the car slightly on the springs and put the carper back (This is why it needs to be shorter than normal.) If you really want to be brutal put a sharp point on the end so it digs into the road.

You might upset the local council though if anyone does actually try to move your car.

Charlie.