Rear Drive Shaft UJ Warning and Questions.

First the warning …. On re-assembling my refurbished rear drive shafts, by chance I noticed that the supplied long shank UJ grease nipples would pretty much be impossible to access, particularly with the outer UJ buried in the shell of the trailing arm. The inner diff UJ is possible if bending the plastic cover back, I suppose. See photos.

If I had not of spotted this now when it can be changed, I would be pretty stuck servicing in months to come. The solution is obvious, fit 45 degree nipples. Easy?

What one really needs are long shank 45 degree grease nipples – 90 degree are no good. All I can get hold of are dumpy 45 degree nipples and these do not fit flush with my GKN UJs. See third photo for detail.

Question 1.

What do others fit and anyone know of where to get 45 degree ¼” UNF long shank grease nipples. I cannot find them.

Question 2.

If I have to use what I have, do I need to fit washers to fill the gap?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

38 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,

you could drill an access hole in the TA and rubber boot to get straight on.

Roger

Thanks. Not a bad idea. Worth a thought I have to say. Guess it would not matter drilling through the TA cover.

Do others do this?

Just be sure you get good quality UJs no matter whether they are sealed for life. One lot I bought barely lasted 5000 miles before rumbling..

Tim

On 10/3/2023 at 7:12 PM, jpmf said:

I have done several, 20mm hole saw, centred about 4 1/4" (if I remember correctly ;)) from brake backing plate.  If you still have hub out throw a tape on it.

My hub is out so this seems the best option. Thanks.

On 10/3/2023 at 10:19 PM, Andy Moltu said:

You could consider a non greaseable U/J. They are sealed for life - probably good for over 10 years for a quality one.

Another option may be a longer grease nipple and use a side entry end on the grease gun.

I wanted these but could not find quality ones so went with the grease nipple type.

Still not sure one could get at them with a side entry. What are the normal grease nipples supplied by the factory; or how does one grease them, I still wonder?

On 10/4/2023 at 8:45 AM, Tim D. said:

Just be sure you get good quality UJs no matter whether they are sealed for life. One lot I bought barely lasted 5000 miles before rumbling..

Tim

Yep agree, GKN ones and heavy duty too.