Oulton Park 23rd Sept.

You've taught him well Dave, too many drivers would have "the red mist" and neglect to check gauges in the few " quiet " moments you get on a lap. Means the difference between being able to recover the engine and having to start building another. You are correct to be pleased with him, both you and he are enjoying racing together, I'm sure he'll be carrying on when you decide ...enough. Many years to go of course.

Mick Richards

15 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

Forgot to say, I am very pleased with my Grandson Bailey for noticing warning light, realising what it meant  and having the presence of mind to cut the engine immediately. That’s saved what could have been catastrophic damage. 
Dave McD

Hi Dave,

Very good, and like you mentioned, could have been much worse.

Did you just replace the o/s engine mount for a TR8 one ?

Cheers.

Tom, just used a standard TR6 mount, UKC8330. It’s only got to do one race at Croft before engine comes out for a winter rebuild. Haven’t been able to locate any with uprated rubber. As previous, Revington did some with higher shore rubber but no longer available. TR7 V8s use same mount as 6 these days. 
If you’re aware of some stronger ones please let me know. 
Dave

You could probably engineer a "Fail safe" cage round the mount Dave so if it did go the engine wouldnt drop.

Stuart.

Stuart, my engine builder has suggested we drill and fit a long bolt through from side to side which would pass through outer “horseshoe” steel plate that fixes to engine block mount and inner circle steel with lug that bolts to chassis mounts. If rubber shears again, though I do not aim to repeat my Oulton Pk misdemeanour, the bolt should stop engine dropping. 
I’ll probably try that on an old mount when I take engine out just to check practicality before I do it on a new mount. 
Dave 

15 minutes ago, Dave McDonald said:

Stuart, my engine builder has suggested we drill and fit a long bolt through from side to side which would pass through outer “horseshoe” steel plate that fixes to engine block mount and inner circle steel with lug that bolts to chassis mounts. If rubber shears again, though I do not aim to repeat my Oulton Pk misdemeanour, the bolt should stop engine dropping. 
I’ll probably try that on an old mount when I take engine out just to check practicality before I do it on a new mount. 
Dave 

If thats one of Johns ideas then go for it, he knows what hes talking about.

Stuart.

Great news Dave

Was about to call for an update. Great call by Bailey to pull over.  Don't think it has been a common failure so should be ok but another item to check each meeting.

Roy