Gearbox trouble? Noises in 1st,2nd,3rd

Hello

After a run I have noticed the gearbox making very odd noises in 1st, 2nd & 3rd.  4th seems fine, clutch, selection & overdrive also ok.

Layshaft bearings failing?

The box was partially rebuilt 30 years ago to include an overdrive, think the layshaft was changed then - probably a swap from another unit rather than new. Not too sure about this, but at the time the overall condition of the box was considered ok. Don't think it's out of oil. 

Thanks, Adrian

I'm with John. It does sound like the layshaft.

Drop the oil from the gearbox drain and overdrive filter and look out for shiny metallic bits. Drag a clean magnet through the oil if you don't have a magnetic drain plug which, if you do have one ,will probably look like a silver hedgehog. 

Thanks very much to all posters, all points noted and understood.

However, I am now in a bit of a quandary as what to do next. My original plan was to run the car until the end of the autumn and then attempt a full rebuild, but I don't think that's strictly necessary. The fallback option is to partially strip it but leave the body on the chassis. It's unrestored, but strong and straight. Engine runs well with good compression, drives well - but rear wings and sills need attention/welding. It looks rather rough, but tub & chassis fine. Boot floor, boot, bonnet, floors, engine bay all good. 

Of course, getting into it might reveal problems.... 

Regards Adrian