Burning oil question

On 9/5/2023 at 9:40 PM, ntc said:

All good thanks and by the way  the seals have to be retained by the spring or you waste your time just saying.

Not entirely true. 

Some seals are an interference fit on the top of the guides (rather than “top hats” held by the bottom of the springs.)

A third type utilise a groove in the guide, that a ridge on the seal sits in. These are found on the bronze guides Chris Witor sells for the 6 pots (on the inlets only). The guides on the 4A have them on both inlet and exhaust (I had my head worked on by Ric Wood who machines valve guides to suite from blanks)

There are o rings fitted to some cars but I am loathed to describe them as seals, more a rubber ring to deflect some oil away from the top of the guide.

21 hours ago, dblenk said:

A sticking ring ooh arr vicar

Seriously though yes i am nearly finished some of the bits and pieces and was going to get a professional tune there is a guy up here knows carbs very well i am more the injection stuff thks Peter

I meant a sticking piston ring , probably on the low compression cylinder.  Drive it to free it. Peter

55 minutes ago, ntc said:

David looks about right but check the diameter of the springs and protrusion of the guide only fit on inlet valves 

excuse my ignorance but why not the exhaust can oil go down them stems ok it wont burn as its not combustion but just clarification

cheers

David

"funny" btw,

starting my TR in the garage,

or my TR idling in a close row / in front of another car / TR,

the tiled floor / mates car was always black smut dotted :unsure:

Not everybody loved that....

And worse of all - only one time, looking for the luggage, my lovely wifes white trousers too :ph34r:

Don't ask me about here mood....

This is no longer a problem, all clean

Edited by Z320
On 9/12/2023 at 9:41 PM, Z320 said:

"funny" btw,

starting my TR in the garage,

or my TR idling in a close row / in front of another car / TR,

the tiled floor / mates car was always black smut dotted :unsure:

Not everybody loved that....

And worse of all - only one time, looking for the luggage, my lovely wifes white trousers too :ph34r:

Don't ask me about here mood....

This is no longer a problem, all clean

yes true

• 2 months later...

Guys a quick up date

sump gasket sorted a little run out shows a significant oil leak reduction and used hylomar red

will give a longer blast over the xmas as the back end is stripped for paintwork now

will report on the valve seals when i do them

david