Tic, tic, tic.... on my right hand front tyre

Hi,

the last weeks my TR had a new noise, going "tic, tic, tic..."

from the right hand front wheel on every turn of the wheel on low speeds.

Well known, a stone in the profil - but I digged all of them out. But the noise was still there!

Or like a nail or screw in the tyre - but there was no nail or screw.

Today it was absolutely annoying and I worried about what ever could be the reason.

Wheel off and all was OK: tyre, wheel bearing, brake dics, dust cover not in contact with the disc, caliper tight.

But I noticed one Mintex brake pad had a little bit radial play and the disc did not give it fully free.

That's it: the disc smashed the pad forward against the caliper, it falls free and back, next turn the same. Tic, tic, Tic....

I always wounderd why Girling not used a "Spreizfeder" ("spread spring") like I know from German Ate brakes to hold the pads down.

AIL4fc9bpB7XNHAvWQjEwVglGM-Ev-uZpOFpGdrl

So I made one my own today from spring steel.

AIL4fc8WxO1Ub27NMu4d2AC53zS0g_xwdF1qMXmu

AIL4fc-uQinFsCfjS0VkdhW9dSI4BsOv7vq7MARG

A first test drive made me very happy, also it seems to be no squeeking anymore. But I will see.

When I told my lovely wife "Darling, the annoying tic, tic, tic noise has gone!"

she smiled and answerd me "Oh my dear, don't be too sad, please. I'm shure very soon the car will offer you a new one!".

:lol:

Ciao, Marco

Discussed before.  

You are right Triumph did not specify an anti rattle spring for the pads in the calipers of TR 4-6.

Girling the British brake maker did though.   The anti rattle springs used to come on the pin and shim kit for fitting brake pads from Girling but is now not supplied by the original maker.

The Same caliper is fitted to Rover 2000 as TR4-6.  So the springs do still exist.

I have had them on my car for 30 years and they work as expected.

They look something like this.

https://www.jrwadhams.co.uk/browse-p6-categories/brakes-726869212/brake-calipers-and-seal-kits/front-caliper-anti-rattle-springs-2000-2200.html?sort=pd.name&order=ASC&limit=15

The system you have copied from the ATE brake maker that were on Mini Metro, will probably work as well as the original Girling spring wire items.

Well done.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Waldo

I have something like this on my brakes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370521816641?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338749392&toolid=20006&customid=GB_131090_370521816641.142841610237~1872306726675-g_EAIaIQobChMI1raM5sGPgQMVrIlQBh1Oeg5lEAQYASABEgIoxvD_BwE

Each end of the springs clip under the guide rods and the bit in the middle clips over the top of the pad and anti-squeal shim. Yours look much more substantial though and look easier to fit as well.

Keith

Hi both,

I know the wire springs, have them in my workshop - but remember problems to fit them.

This is why I did not install them.

Just for fun I give them a 2nd chance on the left side this evening.

As told above: 

I always woundered why Girling not used a "Spreizfeder" ("spread spring") like I know from German Ate brakes.

Ciao, Marco 

9 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi,

the last weeks my TR had a new noise, going "tic, tic, tic..."

from the right hand front wheel on every turn of the wheel on low speeds.

Well known, a stone in the profil - but I digged all of them out. But the noise was still there!

Or like a nail or screw in the tyre - but there was no nail or screw.

Today it was absolutely annoying and I worried about what ever could be the reason.

Wheel off and all was OK: tyre, wheel bearing, brake dics, dust cover not in contact with the disc, caliper tight.

But I noticed one Mintex brake pad had a little bit radial play and the disc did not give it fully free.

That's it: the disc smashed the pad forward against the caliper, it falls free and back, next turn the same. Tic, tic, Tic....

I always wounderd why Girling not used a "Spreizfeder" ("spread spring") like I know from German Ate brakes to hold the pads down.

AIL4fc9bpB7XNHAvWQjEwVglGM-Ev-uZpOFpGdrl

So I made one my own today from spring steel.

AIL4fc8WxO1Ub27NMu4d2AC53zS0g_xwdF1qMXmu

AIL4fc-uQinFsCfjS0VkdhW9dSI4BsOv7vq7MARG

A first test drive made me very happy, also it seems to be no squeeking anymore. But I will see.

When I told my lovely wife "Darling, the annoying tic, tic, tic noise has gone!"

she smiled and answerd me "Oh my dear, don't be too sad, please. I'm shure very soon the car will offer you a new one!".

:lol:

Ciao, Marco

Love reading your posts Marco, I think your solution is simple but brilliant.

John.

Ready access to spring steel sheet is helpful.   Is it something you can buy locally?    
Do you buy untempered sheet, work it, then heat treat?

My wife’s oven only goes to 220 c …..

Hi Peter,

this is spring steel belt from the scrap or building construction sites.

This is used to wrap around heavy parcels, wooden boxes and bunsh of steel, pallets and so on.

Costs nothing.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
8 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi Peter,

this is spring steel belt from the scrap or building construction sites.

This is used to wrap around heavy parcels, wooden boxes and bunsh of steel, pallets and so on.

Costs nothing.

Ciao, Marco

Well sourced.   Not an item I had considered.

a bit soft for some use, but mostly good enough

This are the springs that have been recommended to me

AIL4fc8Z7ep8QyXLEQpiUFLfBO2NiASnZkPbueWB

AIL4fc_WhFYakIw1EWfdZ5f4RfXyakAqKc5H5Fo8

This are my "Ate" - style spread spings

AIL4fc_SzTyGP2x-twkc3H2sJKRCbIgbZINqWBoK

AIL4fc8IowZbVcNetWFUAKeJLVxEKtTFm7ONGX1U

I give them a change, perhaps they stop the Mintex pads squeeking too

Ciao, Marco