Tapping/clunk on cylinder 1

The car has developed a tapping/clunk on cylinder 1. Rocker gap is perfect on all cylinders so all rockers are not contributing to this noise.

The clunk is in time the the rocker in question on cylinder 1.

I suspect it may be the CAM follower tappet, can this be replaced by just taking the head off.

Any other suggestions of what is causing the clunk is very welcome

Hi Paul,

sadly your rocker gap on cylinder 1 maybe is poor apart you are convinced different.

Because the top of the valves dig a pit in the rockers, which you „bridge“ with the feeler gauge.

Feeler gauge out ——> play is massive!

What I did years ago after an adjustment is to check by rocking them by hand how they sound and how much play each rocker has.

I found them all different - but one had only few play / sound: this is the best!

All other I adjusted to the play and sound and still do it this way.

And that works LOVELY!

Tic, tic, tic gone!

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320

Some time ago we discussed the noise is also less with solid spacers and shims instead the springs between the rockers?

But I don’t know how to find this thread again. I try via Google, this works best IMO

Ciao, Marco 

edit: did found it, but this thread doesn’t help

Edited by Z320
On 9/1/2023 at 7:01 PM, Paul Garvey said:

The car has developed a tapping/clunk on cylinder 1. Rocker gap is perfect on all cylinders so all rockers are not contributing to this noise.

I suspect it may be the CAM follower tappet, can this be replaced by just taking the head off.

If the rocker gap is perfect on all cylinders you can't have a tapping logically, Clunk on Cylinder 1 both rockers? Earing with a long screwdrivers on both do you ear a difference? Could a valve spring problem?  Maybe more investigate before removing the head?  Just saying I am not an expert. 

On 9/1/2023 at 6:01 PM, Paul Garvey said:

Steve Denton, some of you will know, listened to it and he advised the head off. He said not to worry too much as these tractor engines can cope with it. Though he did advise taking the head off this winter