Wheel rim size advice

Hello, I am about to put up for sale on the  under £250 thread a very cheap (slightly rusty but probably restorable) set of steel wheels and hub covers but need clarification on rim size/model fitting.

My brain hurts from reading all the conflicting comments on whether tr4a's were fitted with 4 1/2J which I think this set came from. To me though they look like 4J if I am measuring correctly. See photos.  Are these 4J and what TR model can I say they suitable for ??

Thanks, David B

wheelrimsize.jpg

wheels2.jpg

4" wheels from the sidescreen cars.  The measurement is the width of the well, not external rim to rim. 

Edited by RobH
21 hours ago, Lebro said:

... they are 4J wheels, used on TR2,3,3A,4,& 4A ...

But…

They didn’t all have the same offset.

Some (I think 4 and 4A) had an offset that made the wheel stick out ½ inch more.

Not always a major problem, but I have a TR4 back axle on my 3A and due to the wider track with the 4 axle, I cannot use the wheels with the extra offset. (I have already removed the lip from the rear wings, but the larger offset wheels will still not fit.)

I once bought a set of 4 wheels where one had the larger offset and it took me a while to workout what was going on.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D

Really Charlie?  Never heard of that one before and there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in any of the literature :o .  

13 minutes ago, RobH said:

Really Charlie?  Never heard of that one before and there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in any of the literature :o .  

I do not recall it either.   The only offset was obvious with the wider rims of newer cars viz TR 250/5/6    Wires of course were in 4,4 1/2, and 5 1/2.    The 5” wire wheel rim was nor specified for TR nor was the 6”.

C&B had copies of the original factory drawings for the TR steel wheel rims and went on to remake the TR6 steel rim.    There was a mention of Tubeless type rim though.

38 minutes ago, RobH said:

Never heard of that one before and there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in any of the literature :o

18 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I do not recall it either.  

Well I'm not making it up:(

The pictures don’t show it too clear, but here is evidence.

The center of the wheel is attached in different places to the rim.

Not long ago I went to inspect some wheels from Simon in Cheltenham. (An excellent source of used TR bits and pieces.)

He had kindly sorted his wheel collection into two piles. Each with the different offsets.

Charlie

offset1.jpg

offset2.jpg

19 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Well I'm not making it up:(

The pictures don’t show it too clear, but here is evidence.

The center of the wheel is attached in different places to the rim.

Not long ago I went to inspect some wheels from Simon in Cheltenham. (An excellent source of used TR bits and pieces.)

He had kindly sorted his wheel collection into two piles. Each with the different offsets.

Charlie

offset1.jpg

offset2.jpg

Well there is the evidence.
Everyday is a school day.

There is also the change of riveted to welded centre attachments 

Yep - can't argue with that. Another useful fact to be filed away.  Thanks Charlie. 

Edited by RobH
  • 3 months later...

So are you guys still fitting the standard wheels?

It intrigues me about the TR6 fitting so much wider rims and staying with the same 165R15 tyres. The Porsche 911 did the same thing around the same time they fitted wider rims yet stuck with 165R15 tyres. The idea was that a wider wheel rim gave better stability on all the motorways that were popping up all over the place.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/165-15.html

Then in 1968 Porsche moved the 911 onto the new low profile tyres, However when they developed the TR6 Triumph stuck with 165R15 tyres because that is the way the Triumph handles the best.

Edited by dougal