Spark plug colours.

Hello All,
Not a major problem but not sure what to make of it.

I’ve done over 3000 miles since I rebuilt my engine and it has never missed a beat, always pulled away beautifully, cruised at 60+, would zoom up hills, and I was very happy.
Until about 2 days ago.

It started misfiring after being caught in a queue, but fairly quickly got back to normal when on the open road.

Yesterday I did a 150 mile trip and the misfire got worse when in towns, but again cleared eventually, but took a little longer.

The engine never overheated (Electric fan came on for a while in town, then went off and cycled it’s self in the normal manner.)

I pulled the plugs today and found No2 plug much darker than the rest. (It’s the last one in the photo.) Not so obvious in the photo but very clearly a difference in real life.
I also noticed a dark stain/scorch mark on the inner wing in line with the front carb inlet.
Checked the cylinder compression and all were 170-173 psi.

So it seems that the problem lay in No2 cylinder.

If there was a carb problem it would affect No1 and No2. (Plug No1 was exactly the same colour as 3 and 4)
If there was a timing issue it would affect all 4 cylinders.
I’ve looked at the plug leads and inside the distributor cap and found nothing odd.

I’ve moved the dark plug to cylinder No4 to see what happens, but I’ll have to replicate driving through towns and getting into queues somehow to get any idea if the plug  makes a difference.

The main question I’m asking is what do people make of the colours of the plugs. (What could make the dark one darker than the rest, and do the rest seem a reasonable colour anyway.)
Any suggestion appreciated.

Charlie.

PlugsSmall.jpg

stainSmall.jpg

I would swap all the plugs out for new ones. They are consumables after all.  But then I stock two set, one set hotter.

Roger:

That makes sense in a way. While I move forwards the airflow is enough to keep the carbs cool enough. With the electric fan it is only on spasmodically, so the carbs get a blast of very hot air just after the fan turns on. Then the  radiator water cools enough to switch the fan off , but it is still hot around the carbs (not helped by no heat shield above the exhaust manifold.)

I could just try the manual over ride for the fan motor next time I’m stuck in a jam and see what happens.

Bob:

Nice to hear that they look ok. Thank you.

Hamish:

Yep, I know what you mean. But they should last more than 3000 miles. However, that is an option I thought about. I know there has been a lot of discussion before about what type of plug to use so I shall have a read up to see what I can find.

Just need a bit better weather (and a traffic jam) to test things out.

Charlie.

Heat shield from Revington & a fresh set of genuine NGK plugs would be my starting point.

Monty:
I looked on the Revington site but to no avail. However I doubt if they would be cheaper than the ones Peter has found. Spark plugs will come from Halfords I guess. I have read before about the number of fake ones about.

Peter:
Excellent find. I wonder if they will fit the Strombergs though. I know the hole positions are right but not sure if they will clash with the Stromberg bodies. Plus I have a home made cable throttle which includes a bar between the two carbs to mount the cable and this might clash as well.
I look forwards to seeing any photo you come up with.

EDIT. Just found these for the stromberg. Totally different shape (Different float chamber, of course!)

https://www.stainlessforclassics.co.uk/Stainless_for_Classics_Heatseild_ Carb _stromberg_cd175.htm

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D
1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Monty:
I looked on the Revington site but to no avail. However I doubt if they would be cheaper than the ones Peter has found. Spark plugs will come from Halfords I guess. I have read before about the number of fake ones about.

Peter:
Excellent find. I wonder if they will fit the Strombergs though. I know the hole positions are right but not sure if they will clash with the Stromberg bodies. Plus I have a home made cable throttle which includes a bar between the two carbs to mount the cable and this might clash as well.

EDIT. Just found these for the stromberg. Totally different shape (Different float chamber, of course!)

https://www.stainlessforclassics.co.uk/Stainless_for_Classics_Heatseild_ Carb _stromberg_cd175.htm

Charlie.

Charlie.  Well found.

I have recently gone back to a hotter plug BP5HS or Bosch Equiv.    helps with the lumpy tickover when parked on the M25 for 1/2hr.   

3 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Monty:

Peter:

Charlie.

Sorry Charlie, I was thinking alternator heat shield from Revington! Old age blip again!