Surrey Top ill-fitting to windscreen & windows

Evening all,

I'm sure people have found this problem before - I did have a cursory scan but couldn't find a thread on it. I've recently fitted the surrey on my TR4 for the first time in years, but have found two issues with it (please see photos).

1) The windscreen is high in the centre and falls away on either side. This leaves gaps of about 15-20mm on either side between windscreen and surrey. The rubber is thick (new from Moss) but I'm not convinced the gap is a result of this. Do people carefully beat their surrey-top down? Or have I got the windscreen rake incorrect in some way?

2) The windows both have a gap of 15-20mm between the top of them and the surrey top. Can anyone tell in the picture I've attached whether I have the correct glass? I confess to have TR6 doors (sacrilege I know; you can tell as I don't have the integrated door lock and the door to body latch is different). The window is perfectly parallel both front and rear of the windows, it just seems a little short so I thought perhaps when the car was rebuilt in 1990 the chap may have had the forethought to add TR4 windows to the TR6 doors. Does anyone have experience of adjusting / raising by taking off the door inner?

Appreciate any wisdom with either of these issues. Pleasure to chat to some of you at the show today. All the best,

Adam

IMG_9320.HEIC

IMG_9321.HEIC

IMG_9322.HEIC

IMG_9324.HEIC

Having difficulty opening the pics on my computer....Not keen on installing a new application.

Is the surrey top hard or soft....If hard is it an aftermarket fibreglass one.

I believe the TR6 door glass may be different to the TR4.

Edited by Malbaby

It doesn’t look far out to me. AFAIK the glass needs to be the correct one for the door and yours looks right it’s just stopping a bit short. Lifting it will bring it closer to the screen and over the rubber.  I’d pop off the door trim and see if I can get the glass a bit higher. 

IMG_0412.jpeg

Edited by Drewmotty

Evening chaps,

Thanks for uploading a picture properly Andrew, not sure how I added them in a way you need to download them.

I think Malbaby is right in that the TR4 and TR6 glass is different. Perhaps I'll try and adjust the glass first; I've not done it before and don't know how much adjustment I'll get. If that doesn't work I will remove the glass and ascertain whether it's for a 4 or a 6.

I don't suppose either of you also have a surrey top and have had the problem with the edges not conforming to the shape of the windscreen? Bringing those edges down would, of course, bring the surrey top closes to the window glass as it sits now.

Adam

If you had the wrong glass it wouldn’t fit that well. It looks like it would be perfect if lifted 10mm. You should be able to adjust the stop enough to get you where you need to be. 
As for the front seal, will it bolt down tighter? Is it a factory roof or a copy?

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Harry,

it's a TR4 with a different regulator.

There is  a stop on the regulator ball end arm. I think this can be moved a little.

Roger

Actually the stop is in the slide thats affixed to the inside of the door frame where the actuator rollers slide along. Item 112 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/doors-fittings/doors-fittings-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Stuart.

41 minutes ago, stuart said:

Actually the stop is in the slide thats affixed to the inside of the door frame where the actuator rollers slide along. Item 112 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/doors-fittings/doors-fittings-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

that is what I was trying (badly) to describe.

Roger