Gearbox oil recommendations.

What gearbox oil is recommended for a TR3 with O/D? I have had a good look on the internet and there are numerous schools of thought and numerous ideas on this subject. The manual states that engine oil is suitable but I know that this was changed to a thicker grade.

Penrith GB40 in my TR4A.

5 hours ago, Geofftaylor said:

What gearbox oil is recommended for a TR3 with O/D? I have had a good look on the internet and there are numerous schools of thought and numerous ideas on this subject. The manual states that engine oil is suitable but I know that this was changed to a thicker grade.

Thanks to all.

Penrite has been ordered.

cheers Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

Originally  Engine oils were specified  beacuse they had good Detergency and Dispercentcy as well as multigrade performance (less drag at lower temperature) However ive used API -GL4 and API-GL5, 80w90 and laterly 75w90 Gear oils as have better load carrying properties than engine oils and now with wide multigrade gear oil the oils are less viscous when cold they dont lose as much viscosity when hot . I've beeen using them  for 30 years with no issues  but as i dont drive the car in winter  now so I stick with an 80w90 gear oil

Its worth mentioning that smaller lubricants companies buy in base oils and purchase addative packs to a spec/price,  simply because of the cost of engine testing that they would be required to complete to  claim the various specs ..I think its around $250K just to be a member of API, plus ACEA testing along with all  the various OEM testing, and   ..There are a number of Addative Companies that  supply  blenders  with addative (lubrizol, Paramins, Infinium to name a few) supply  Blenders . However the premium performance addative packs tend to be reserved for comapanies such as BP, Shell, Castrol, Exxon etc who are chasing initial fill contracts   ... The quality of base oils is also important  and the quality of both  addative and base oils affect the performance  of the finished product  . I prepared a couple of spread sheets for one of the US forum   and can add Penrite to them if the technical data is availble . There has been a great deal of spurious data surounding the use of gears oils especialy where the O/D is concened  for example some friction modifiers and e.p adadtive requre increase in surface temp before they activate and these have been aledged to have cause O/D but there is not test evidence to support it 

all the best

Steve

Gearoil comparisons v2.xlsx engine oil comparison.xlsx