Door gap pondering!

Hi all

after considerable thought and pestering you guys AGAIN,I am left wondering about this seemingly impossible question of perfect door gaps and I am coming around to the thoughts that maybe this question when directed at the tr6 may be just part of what a car coming from the troubled car industry of the seventies was all about.I apologise if this sounds like a criticism of the Tr6 it’s most definitely not as I love my car but maybe I fell into the trap of comparing my fifty year old car with a car of today so long live classic cars original warts and all I say.

11 minutes ago, nigelcurry said:

Hi all

after considerable thought and pestering you guys AGAIN,I am left wondering about this seemingly impossible question of perfect door gaps and I am coming around to the thoughts that maybe this question when directed at the tr6 may be just part of what a car coming from the troubled car industry of the seventies was all about.I apologise if this sounds like a criticism of the Tr6 it’s most definitely not as I love my car but maybe I fell into the trap of comparing my fifty year old car with a car of today so long live classic cars original warts and all I say.

I think you're excusing poor repair or misalignment over 50 years to be something inherent to the car due to poor built quality when it was first manufactured. That doesn't allow for frames that sag from age and rust, the fact that it's not a monocoque style of construction with its many removable panels, the torque twisting the body over years and repairs and misunderstanding of how to align the body over those years. 

There are many cars that have been put together right or survivors that have good door gaps, but so often when a car has been repaired, that's when things go awry.

It is possible to adjust a car that's already together and painted, to a certain level that can be pleasing as I've shown with my own photos. 

Don't give up, don't make excuses for the build quality, things can be sorted if you want them to be. 

Of course few classics are perfect and it's good to just get out in them and enjoy them, and not be too precious that you're in fear of using it.

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper

Good gaps achieved during rebuilds is quite easy to do with care and a drop of lead here and there, its not quite so easy on a built car as you do need to be careful when adjusting one thing doesnt alter something else.

Stuart.

20 minutes ago, stuart said:

Good gaps achieved during rebuilds is quite easy to do with care and a drop of lead here and there, its not quite so easy on a built car as you do need to be careful when adjusting one thing doesnt alter something else.

Stuart.

Oh sage like person - how true!:D

Years ago I did a short Classic Car bodywork course at Brooklands College, the lecturer there was a retired Aston Martin bodywork man, the things he could do with an English Wheel or a gas torch were magnificent, any how he told us that AM door gaps etc were checked with the edge of a 1/2 Crown coin, legend has it that there was a lump of wood to check/adjust the door gaps on the TR production line!!    .... says it all really.

Cheers Rob

1 hour ago, Rob Salisbury said:

Years ago I did a short Classic Car bodywork course at Brooklands College, the lecturer there was a retired Aston Martin bodywork man, the things he could do with an English Wheel or a gas torch were magnificent, any how he told us that AM door gaps etc were checked with the edge of a 1/2 Crown coin, legend has it that there was a lump of wood to check/adjust the door gaps on the TR production line!!    .... says it all really.

Cheers Rob

MK1 and MK2 jags were done with an old penny which is narrower. Side on view looks like the doors have been cut out of the side with a knife edge.

Stuart.