Surrey top elastic straps

I'm trying to get the side edges of the Surrey top a little tighter, the elastic straps and retaining clips don't stretch the edge very tight onto the front and rear hooks. I'm aiming to remove the 2 piece tubular rivets which hold the elastic strap onto the hood material and re-position, how are these rivets assembled? Also other than Moss/Rimmers are the correct ones sold elsewhere?

VMT

David

In the trade they are called “smash together rivets”.  Also known as snaps and caps.  The one stem part fits into the tube part of the other.  You whack them with a hammer and the things deform into each other locking securely.  Cut them off with a pair of side cutters.   They are not reusable.  

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
15 hours ago, stillp said:

Sometimes called "crush rivets". I bought a set from ebay, which came with the tool for putting them together without deforming the head.

Pete

Any chance of a link?

Stuart.

Having used these things a number of times, it’s a good idea to have a couple of practice goes before you use them in anger. The trick is to get them lined up as straight as you can and hit them hard. Gentle taps tend to deform them sideways. 

Rgds Ian

9 hours ago, stuart said:

Any chance of a link?

Stuart.

Sorry, too long ago so not in my purchase history. Maybe it was Amazon - lots on this page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geasea-Leather-Tubular-Repairing-Decoration/dp/B07DL8SFKZ/ref=sr_1_31?crid=3JGPIACJKIBFL&keywords="crush+Rivets"&qid=1687370100&sprefix=crush+rivets+%2Caps%2C66&sr=8-31

Pete

But do they crimp enough to hold elastic, the original ones have the same size head each side and pull the two layers together tight, they’re two tubes that fit inside each other 

Stuart