I have a very useful ride on Hayter 12/30  Mower. There is a drive belt which connects the engine and the cutting blade. This belt is adjusted by the selection of the cutting option. So there are two pulleys and a wide separate pulley which  when selected removes all slack in the belt and engages the cutting blade when selected. This works well for a short period until the drive belt becomes loose and disengages. So I have to reach underneath and slide the belt back onto the pulleys.

The mower is quite old but only used for one hour per week. It is tempting to call out a local groundcare company for a repair and service. Why would the drive belt disconnect itself from both pulleys ? Any advice would be useful.

Thanks Richard and B.

As it works for a bit ? Is the old belt getting hot and stretching 

may be a new belt is worth a try.

or the “tension to drive” pulley is not holding its engagement or not moving far enough could be linked to above issues ?

On the same theme (nearly).

A young lady (50+) down the road said to me the other day that her rotary mower needed its blade sharpening and asked

if there was a shop that could do it.  I said to bring it down and I would do it

When it arrived the blade looked newish and sharp.  I asked why she wanted it sharpening? 

It had never been sharpened in the two  or three years that her dad used it.

On the other hand a slightly  foreign neighbour across the raod brought  his rotary mower over for me to look at.

The 'sharpened' edges of the blade had been folded back on themselves - forming a U section.  I said you need a new blade.

Later on he was out front mowing his flower border WTF  stones and all.  What planet are these people from

Roger   

Those drive belts are different from car fanbelts etc. The torque that they go through when the blades are turned on is high, so they are unique to mowers.

So.....firstly, remove the belt and check that the blades turn freely (too many mowers don't get the deck cleaned often and old grass solidifies up and around the bearing shaft). Secondly, buy a new belt from a reputable dealer! So many similar size but not hi torque belts are sold on well known sites!