I was painting the rear shock absorber bracket today with Kurust, The primer and top coat is being delivered tomorrow. The sun was out and the ground is dry.  While I was working on it I noticed that the clamps round the rear leaf spring were 1/8" proud of the spring on the top surface. I checked the back of the garage and I have two rear springs which look quite new and have very tight clamps. I can not find an invoice. 

The springs on the car at present are the original ones which were reset by Jones Springs some years ago. It does not look like a straightforward job to tighten the clamps  in situ  and I can not get a hammer in place over the springs. If I use a hand clamp the adjustments , if any are possible, will not last long.

Please send me some advice.

Thanks Richard & B

Leaf spring clamps?   Something like these?

Something tells me Stuart uses a clamp of this type on his leaf springs.

https://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-14902715-dhd-600-417-dhd-leaf-spring-clamp-set-of-4-2001-present-duramax-diesel.html

image.thumb.jpeg.42beaa41a46bdc6254bd0ea862dbafc1.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
11 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Leaf spring clamps?   Something like these?

Something tells me Stuart uses a clamp of this type on his leaf springs.

https://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-14902715-dhd-600-417-dhd-leaf-spring-clamp-set-of-4-2001-present-duramax-diesel.html

image.thumb.jpeg.42beaa41a46bdc6254bd0ea862dbafc1.jpeg

I do, as given to me by Tim Parr one time TR rally guy

Stuart.

Rear axle 011.jpg

That’s a while back, you haven’t got your finned drums on !

Mick Richards

19 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

I was painting the rear shock absorber bracket today with Kurust, The primer and top coat is being delivered tomorrow. The sun was out and the ground is dry.  While I was working on it I noticed that the clamps round the rear leaf spring were 1/8" proud of the spring on the top surface. I checked the back of the garage and I have two rear springs which look quite new and have very tight clamps. I can not find an invoice. 

The springs on the car at present are the original ones which were reset by Jones Springs some years ago. It does not look like a straightforward job to tighten the clamps  in situ  and I can not get a hammer in place over the springs. If I use a hand clamp the adjustments , if any are possible, will not last long.

Please send me some advice.

Thanks Richard & B

Stop mending it until it’s broke !

The spring clamps you refer are an integral part of the spring control and just keep the leafs in line, …a little like a pack of cards. Their material has no spring or suspension properties, you will notice no difference if you take the springs off and replace the spring ( unless it’s broken elsewhere).

Mick Richards

How much stiffer do the springs get using the clamps?   Or is it simply to reduce axle wind up.

There is a lot of bollocks written on the US hot rod sites.

The clamps look like a good answer.But I am tempted to change the springs because I asked Jones Springs for an extra 2" in height but they misunderstood me and made them 2" higher than standard. This was too high but it has reduced over some years and this may mean that my 65 year old springs need replacement any way.

Last time I released the body from the chassis and jacked it up to allow the spring to slide sideways. This did cause some crack around the door openings and the car is booked into the paintshop for mid June  for theses cracks and two wings for minor scratch repairs It would be a shame to wait until autumn and spoil the new paint job.

Thanks for the advice so far,

Richard & B

2 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

That’s a while back, you haven’t got your finned drums on !

Mick Richards

Library picture ;) Plus I now only use two clamps a side.

Stuart.

As the spring leaves are designed to slide over each other as the spring flexes, I cannot see how the clamps would do anything other than make the spring extremely stiff. Might as well weld the leaves together.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
5 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

As the spring leaves are designed to slide over each other as the spring flexes, I cannot see how the clamps would do anything other than make the spring extremely stiff. Might as well weld the leaves together.

Ralph

Thats the point, the only spring supplied for a solid axle 4a is wrong with too much curve but also too soft as well. hence the use of clamps. The ride is now very firm with almost zero body roll, means it goes exactly where pointed!

Stuart.

These add on clamps are old school leaf spring tension tuning. You can even vary the stiffness by only using 2 as against 4 as Stuart has done. Or fitting them on a different position on the spring and by how tight you bolt them.

Mick Richards