Early 1969 TR6 interior door pulls

Hi all

At the interior fitting stage and I need to decide which way to jump.

I think this car used pulls moulded into the black interior trim glued to the top of the doors but mine arrived stripped off the car battered having I suspect been pulled off a few times in the past. The current offerings from a few suppliers aren't cheap at up to £110 each and after a bit of search don't fit that well anyway.

I have some tatty black plastic handle ones with chrome hinges which came disassembled with the car. Did the early cars have these as well as the plastic door pulls above?

Fortunately when I had the car painted I ensured that the interior tops of the doors were finished as well as the outside so I have the option of keeping them that way until I can justify perhaps some wood caps. Which leaves me with the need for some kind of interior door pulls.

I've seen some use a pair of chrome TR4 (Part 650306) and I think my doors have the square holes pre stamped but no fittings to secure them to the doors which are NCA from the usual suspects. So folks;

1) Did my car have black plastic handles?

2) What fixing do I need to secure either to the door frames?

Thanks

Andy

Andy, 

I got fed up of the glued on door top pulls coming away, so on my TR5 restoration I will also be leaving the door tops plain in body colour. 

I will be fitting the TR4 hinged door pull handles (p/No 650306.) My doors have the square holes punched but no fixings and as you say they are unobtainable. I’ve been considering tack welding 2 x 3/16”unf nuts onto a thin steel strip, something like the metal Signode banding, and then pop riveting that to the back of the door panel behind those 2 square holes. Check the hole dimensions because I think they are slightly too close together to suit the handle fixings. 
Dave McD

1.   No the interior door pulls were always the vitafoam moulded door tops until 1974 when a pocket was put in the door and a simple plastic cover was fitted to the door top.

2.   Square fix square clip nuts fit in the door frame for the TR4/4A chrome door pull.   It is not uncommon for metric ones to be used as imperial ones are not available.   Obviously you will need metric screws to go in them. (M4 raised head countersunk I think)   There was also a plastic clip nut that fitted there and had a self tapper screwed into it.

the square cage clip nut looks like this.

image.jpeg.c2e0a731333210b79e3a0de525def8c7.jpeg

You could try Bresco for screws and clips.   https://bresco.com/

Measure the square hole in the door frame and search these options.   https://www.bresco.com/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=Square+clip+nut&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go!

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 minute ago, RogerH said:

Hi Andy,

I have used M4 rivnuts in those square holes..

The original screws  will fit as they cut their own thread - or you can re-tap 

Roger

I remember you mentioned that before Roger.

Thanks everyone for the rapid response, spoilt for choice!

TR4 handles it is to start with.

Andy

PS Guess no one is watching the snooker then :lol:

14 hours ago, PodOne said:

Hi all

At the interior fitting stage and I need to decide which way to jump.

I think this car used pulls moulded into the black interior trim glued to the top of the doors but mine arrived stripped off the car battered having I suspect been pulled off a few times in the past. The current offerings from a few suppliers aren't cheap at up to £110 each and after a bit of search don't fit that well anyway.

I have some tatty black plastic handle ones with chrome hinges which came disassembled with the car. Did the early cars have these as well as the plastic door pulls above?

Fortunately when I had the car painted I ensured that the interior tops of the doors were finished as well as the outside so I have the option of keeping them that way until I can justify perhaps some wood caps. Which leaves me with the need for some kind of interior door pulls.

I've seen some use a pair of chrome TR4 (Part 650306) and I think my doors have the square holes pre stamped but no fittings to secure them to the doors which are NCA from the usual suspects. So folks;

1) Did my car have black plastic handles?

2) What fixing do I need to secure either to the door frames?

Thanks

Andy

When I had my door bottoms repaired because of rust blisters. I went for post 1974 Door Cards which use Spitfire Door Grab handles as used on OEM post 1974 TR6's. I never liked the plastic molded grab handle as they cut my finger badly and was it painful. I bought the bits for the grab handles from the Spitfire grave yard.

Bruce.

13 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

Andy, 

I got fed up of the glued on door top pulls coming away, so on my TR5 restoration I will also be leaving the door tops plain in body colour. 

I will be fitting the TR4 hinged door pull handles (p/No 650306.) My doors have the square holes punched but no fixings and as you say they are unobtainable. I’ve been considering tack welding 2 x 3/16”unf nuts onto a thin steel strip, something like the metal Signode banding, and then pop riveting that to the back of the door panel behind those 2 square holes. Check the hole dimensions because I think they are slightly too close together to suit the handle fixings. 
Dave McD

I fitted the door top pulls to my TR6 (it had TR4 type pull handles fitted when I bought it, but I preferred the look of the original). Fixed with spray upholstery adhesive and they are absolutely solid, never given any problems.

Mike.