Touring France's old road racing circuits after Classic Le Mans 2023

It was in the early 80s when I raced at Montlhéry. You couldn't go all the way round on the banking, but two long sections. I didn't get up to the top but at 2/3 it felt like you might fall out of the door! It was a marvellous weekend with a great reception from the organisers. If you were on the grid to start then your entry fee was refunded. There was a night in a hôtel included as well. While waiting for scrutineering we were summoned to a huge buffet lunch and on returning I found a scrutineering OK sticker on the car! How times have changed. And at the end, a Jéroboam of champagne.

• 1 month later...

Made it to Le Mans, made contact with Le Chef de m'Equipe for my tickets etc, who then said, Good luck!".    Why?    Because I now have to wait in a field with all the other entrants, their transporters and their vehicles, to be "accredited"!   About three hours, he reckons!

16879519771483370331888874722126.jpg

If any TRers here, please say hello to me in the Talbot paddock, Grid 1! 

Edited by john.r.davies
On 4/22/2023 at 11:16 AM, TwinCamJohn said:

It was in the early 80s when I raced at Montlhéry. You couldn't go all the way round on the banking, but two long sections. I didn't get up to the top but at 2/3 it felt like you might fall out of the door! It was a marvellous weekend with a great reception from the organisers. If you were on the grid to start then your entry fee was refunded. There was a night in a hôtel included as well. While waiting for scrutineering we were summoned to a huge buffet lunch and on returning I found a scrutineering OK sticker on the car! How times have changed. And at the end, a Jéroboam of champagne.

Last May (2022) we were coming back on the Caen - Portsmouth Ferry at the same time as number of cars that had been racing at Monthlhery. The noise when these cars came onto the car deck of the ferry was something I'll remember for a long time.

20220509_212324.jpg

20220509_215703.jpg

20220509_215624.jpg

20220510_063436.jpg

10 hours ago, DaveB66 said:

Last May (2022) we were coming back on the Caen - Portsmouth Ferry at the same time as number of cars that had been racing at Monthlhery. The noise when these cars came onto the car deck of the ferry was something I'll remember for a long time.

20220509_212324.jpg

20220509_215703.jpg

20220509_215624.jpg

20220510_063436.jpg

That would be VRM or Vintage Revival Monthelery, a great bi-annual event. The next one is in 2024 to celebrate the centenary of the track. I have been a couple of times with my sons it is super friendly ans some amazing cars. Even though it is a non competitive event you still see cars some over a hundred years old getting close to the top of the banking at what must be approaching 100 mph

http://www.vintage-revival.fr/

• 4 weeks later...

Gosh, I'd love to take part in that!  But the problem is that "Vintage Revival Montlhery" is properly 'vintage'.  Pre-war cars only!

Is there an equivalent event for post war cars, like ours?

John