Touring France's old road racing circuits after Classic Le Mans 2023

I hope that everyone has noted that although CLM is normally held alternate years, on those with an even number, this year there is a special one to mark the 100th anniversary of the first Quatre-Vingt Heures de Le Mans in 1923.    You may be lucky and still find a space at Tertres Rouge by contacting the TSSC.     I won't be at TR, but at Houx with the Talbot Team.

France, like other European nations, never had the ban on motor racing on public roads that the UK has had for just as long.  This led to Brooklands, the first purpose built circuit in the world, and the preponderance of old airfield perimeter roads as circuits in the UK.     In France, only at Le Mans and Angouleme does racing still occur on public roads, but the old circuits are still there. You can drive them and relive the Old Days!   Reims, with its original grandstands and pits stands out, but after CLM is over I intend to  visit Remparts at Angouleme and Charade at Clermont-Ferrands as well as returning to Reims via Dijon-Prenois .  If anyone would like to come along, I'll be delighted!

Just PM me to arrange a rendez-vous!

John

Useful reminder for all - I will be going again this year.  

Apologies for being a pedant but it should be Vingt-Quatre (as in 20 plus 4) rather than Quatre-Vingt (which is 4 twenties = 80) 

6 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Hawk,

Je suis  desolé!   Ma professeure de français va faire qu'on se tienne dans le coin!

A bientot!

JOhn

6 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Hawk,

Je suis  desolé!   Ma professeure de français va faire qu'on se tienne dans le coin!

A bientot!

JOhn

Please try again : 97 and 98 in the French language. Worthwhile !

23 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

"cent moin deux"?

"Quatre-Vingt-dix-huit"? 

Counting in French is weird!

Yes, it is weird. In France & Belgium e.g. "80" = "quatre-vingt", in Switzerland "octante" . But "90" is in French "quatre-vingt-dix" & in Belgium "nonante" = ninety. 

Hercule, thank you! I learn much from my teacher, who is not a native, about colloquial French, so the locol variations are just as interesting.

We were doing 'greeting' recently, and she mentioned that in close families, one might use "Coucou!"    This revealed to me a scene from the Bond film "Spectre", where James has infiltrated a board meeting of that organisation.   Detected by the Chairman, Oberhauser, who greets him, with a "Coucou!".      I had interpreted this as Bond being a cuckoo in the nest, but in  fact it's a reference to his early life as an orphan, adopted by Oberhausen's father, so that they are step-brothers!   The greeting  become deeply ironic, and good writing if obscure!

John, je remercie tu pour ton PM!  Hihan!

John

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Hercule, thank you! I learn much from my teacher, who is not a native, about colloquial French, so the locol variations are just as interesting.

We were doing 'greeting' recently, and she mentioned that in close families, one might use "Coucou!"    This revealed to me a scene from the Bond film "Spectre", where James has infiltrated a board meeting of that organisation.   Detected by the Chairman, Oberhauser, who greets him, with a "Coucou!".      I had interpreted this as Bond being a cuckoo in the nest, but in  fact it's a reference to his early life as an orphan, adopted by Oberhausen's father, so that they are step-brothers!   The greeting  become deeply ironic, and good writing if obscure!

John, je remercie tu pour ton PM!  Hihan!

John

"Coucou" (to say "hello") is often used esp. by youngsters, between friends & also by members of a TR Club (not only in "close families).  The "Circuit des Remparts" / Angoulème/France'  the place to be on the 3rd weekend of September. But you have to book in time your hotel ! Cordialement, JOHN

Another very famous French Circuit (besides Reims) is "l'Autodrome de Linas-Monthléry" (near Paris). The Belgian TR Register used to go overthere during the 80ies & 90ies for "The Coupe de l'Age d'Or" (now held in Dijon). The BOD announced to close this Circuit in 2003 & there was a special Celebration Ceremony with the TS2 from TR Reg UK. The racing track of this Circuit really needed restauration. However, it's now open again & different races are on their programme. 

You are of course correct, Hercules!    Monthlery is not and never was a road circuit, any more than is Dijon-Prenois, but has an impressive history, and has one of the few banked circuits ever built in Europe - which, like Monza, is banked at an angle that makes the US 'banking' look like a billard table:

531863599_Ferroustesticularity(Small).jpg.4a3ae0dca4ac641b215add4f3d56e9e0.jpg 

Monza, North Curve of the old sopraelevata oval.  Ferrous testicularity!

But I researched a visit to Monthlery, and it appears to be tucked up tight!   A single minor  road to the well-gated entrance, and where the circuit approaches public roads, Google Street View reveals substantial wire fences, sometimes with dogs, and much of the land enclosing it is occupied by the French military.     None of which is conducive to an unofficial 'inspection'!   I'd welcome an opportunity to go there, and even race there one year!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

'Much of the land enclosing it is occupied by the French military' : don't be surprised the French Military Academy is in the neighbourhood. Let's hope that they installed now decent toilettes. You know what I mean !  

You are of course correct, Hercules!    Monthlery is not and never was a road circuit, any more than is Dijon-Prenois, but has an impressive history, and has one of the few banked circuits ever built in Europe - which, like Monza, is banked at an angle that makes the US 'banking' look like a billard table:

531863599_Ferroustesticularity(Small).jpg.4a3ae0dca4ac641b215add4f3d56e9e0.jpg 

Monza, North Curve of the old sopraelevata oval.  Ferrous testicularity!

But I researched a visit to Monthlery, and it appears to be tucked up tight!   A single minor  road to the well-gated entrance, and where the circuit approaches public roads, Google Street View reveals substantial wire fences, sometimes with dogs, and much of the land enclosing it is occupied by the French military.     None of which is conducive to an unofficial 'inspection'!   I'd welcome an opportunity to go there, and even race there one year!

John

John 

if you are into prewar racing every two years there is the vintage revival at Monthelery  well worth visiting, my son has done a few high speed vintage laps as a passenger I have done a few laps at a lower speed as a passenger in slower machinery. According to my son the higher parts of the banking are b!00d¥ steep!

http://www.vintage-revival.fr/

2 hours ago, hercules said:

"Coucou" (to say "hello") is often used esp. by youngsters, between friends & also by members of a TR Club (not only in "close families).  The "Circuit des Remparts" / Angoulème/France'  the place to be on the 3rd weekend of September. But you have to book in time your hotel ! Cordialement, JOHN

I will be marshaling in the pits again this year at Angouleme,if you see a fat hairy aging anglophone in an official yellow jacket please say hello, although during the racing in the afternoon it gets a bit hectic 

5 hours ago, hercules said:

Another very famous French Circuit (besides Reims) is "l'Autodrome de Linas-Monthléry" (near Paris). The Belgian TR Register used to go overthere during the 80ies & 90ies for "The Coupe de l'Age d'Or" (now held in Dijon). The BOD announced to close this Circuit in 2003 & there was a special Celebration Ceremony with the TS2 from TR Reg UK. The racing track of this Circuit really needed restauration. However, it's now open again & different races are on their programme. 

If you were there in the eighties you may remember the year when Aston Martin was the invited marque at  the Coupe de l'Age d'Or? I was there,racing, in a green Aston Martin DB2/4 MKI

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28txvu9][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/1817/42974882972_2888fb360a_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/28txvu9]coupe de l'age d'or MK1[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150824186@N05/]john curtis[/url], sur Flickr

Edited by TwinCamJohn
1 hour ago, TwinCamJohn said:

If you were there in the eighties you may remember the year when Aston Martin was the invited marque at  the Coupe de l'Age d'Or? I was there,racing, in a green Aston Martin DB2/4 MKI

During the 80ies & 90ies we were there every year. Invited by TR Register France, they were waiting for us at the last Toll Station (Péage) before entering Paris. Then with all the French & Belgian TR's over the Ring Road of Paris (Périphérique) at a speed of approx. 180 KM/hr heading to Monthléry. Those were the days ! Always very nice weather. 

Wow! Iconic! Which series would take a '71 Vitesse?

Sadly there is no more racing there, but a number of events where you can go as quickly as you want.

I went a year ago to the Italian day. That's my Abarth 850TC

717A3654

Please, tell us about driving on such steep banking, John!

Monza is closed off.    I saw someone in a modern find their way onto the North Curve, but they didn't dare drive fast or high.  Quite rightly, the concrete has badly deteriorated!   Although it was already, 60 years ago, as is obvious when you watch the film Grand Prix (1966)!