Starting problems after a rebuild

You said that you had checked for 180 out and that your spark is good . 

So if you have tried fuel direct into the carb mouth with no firing? you could remove the plugs and drop a small amount of fuel direct into the bore, refit plugs and surley it must fire.

Have you also tried loosening the distributor and turning it by hand with someone trying the starter.

Roy

Hi colleagues 

so I managed to get it started!   There was a few things which were that the carburettors were not truly connected so when I pressed the gas pedal only one was moving correctly.   It does though  run lumpy as … and on a test drive had almost no power so  I was wondering if anybody feels that my distributor drive needs moving along one more cog because the taco cable is way too tight and I don’t seem to be able to adjust it any more ??  I was also going to do various other checks, including a compression on each cylinder and plug checks as well today.

A1CAFEFE-ABA7-49E8-B8CD-7345F53F1DFC.jpeg

5E673A7C-4BAB-4F09-A53E-EAE4ABD1652A.jpeg

Edited by AarhusTr6
17 minutes ago, TR NIALL said:

Capsule needs to be pointing towards the near side Headlight

It isn't 'way out'  - from those photos those distributors are different - the capsules are in different places on the body,  one is on the left and the other on the right.  The distributor needs to be re-positioned anticlockwise by about 30 degrees or so. 

Edited by RobH
1 minute ago, RobH said:

It isn't 'way out'  - those distributors are different - the capsules are in different places on the body,  one is on the left and the other on the right.  The distributor needs to be positioned anticlockwise by about 30 degrees. 

2 minutes ago, RobH said:

It isn't 'way out'  - those distributors are different - the capsules are in different places on the body,  one is on the left and the other on the right.  The distributor needs to be positioned anticlockwise by about 30 degrees. 

Didn’t realise that I thought they were the same.

Richard.

From your photo of the distributor drive position, it would appear that the position is the same as the manual, correct,   BUT what is the crankshaft position?  It should be at 4 degrees after TDC on #1 firing stroke, can you confirm that please?

You need to have the rocker cover off to confirm the position of the valves opening and closing, dont forget that the number 2 valve is the inlet one. 

On the side of the distributor you will find a Lucas number and a date code, please post those 2 on here so we know which one you have fitted.  We presume this engine did run nicely before you decided to take it bits?

Did you actually download the workshop manual from the TR site?

John

1 hour ago, roy53 said:

image.jpg

To elaborate on Roy’s post, the dizzy drive but he’s talking about is the circle in the middle of the pic with a slot in it. The slot is slightly off centre and having it installed incorrectly means that the firing order is messed up.

I know this because I had it on my VW splitscreen and I compensated for it by moving the plug leads round on the dizzy cap.

Eventually, after 7 yrs of it irritating me because it wasn’t correct, I hired a dizzy drive removal tool off eBay, removed it and put it in the correct orientation and moved the plug leads to their correct firing order.

I think Roy may well have nailed it, but have a read up on “distributor drive installed incorrectly” and similar topics.

It’s one of those things you either know about or don’t. I didn’t and now do !

You do need the correct tool or things can go TU when removing and replacing if you get it wrong. It’s actually a 2min job to do.

Roy,  I think your picture relates to a PI setup, the carb setup is just like Richard has, but not sure where his crank is though, waiting for his confirmation.

It doesn't matter where that slot is, you set the plug leads to number 1 position, and then follow round in  the correct order anticlockwise,  what it does upset is the position of the rev counter drive, the engine will still run but you cannot connect the taco drive, or the vacuum capsule fowls on something perhaps.

john

image.thumb.png.05a7198734f45c71c9e7b7d12e45b8b1.png

On 4/16/2023 at 7:14 PM, John L said:

Richard.

From your photo of the distributor drive position, it would appear that the position is the same as the manual, correct,   BUT what is the crankshaft position?  It should be at 4 degrees after TDC on #1 firing stroke, can you confirm that please?

You need to have the rocker cover off to confirm the position of the valves opening and closing, dont forget that the number 2 valve is the inlet one. 

On the side of the distributor you will find a Lucas number and a date code, please post those 2 on here so we know which one you have fitted.  We presume this engine did run nicely before you decided to take it bits?

Did you actually download the workshop manual from the TR site?

John

Hi

setting it about 8-10 degrees before TDC….   Can’t recall why but think I read static was set at 10 BTDC

Think maybe you nailed it??!!

richard 

Richard,

Once you have the gear in the right place, turn the crankshaft to 10 degrees before TDC on the #1 cylinder, both #1 cylinder valves closed, turn the distributor so the points are just about to open, dont forget the rotor will be turning anticlockwise, fit the rotor arm, this will be the position of #1 plug lead, then reposition the other leads in an anticlockwise direction,  1 5 3 6 2 4. 

Once its running you may have to turn the distributor to get the correct timing with a strobe light.

You might want to plug the advance outlet tube on the carburettor to stop an air leak, to at least get the engine running something like, then add it later and make final adjustments.

Let us know how that goes please.

John