Rear hub disaster - no driving to Goodwood next weekend :-(

I have RG’s nissan diff (3.54?) and CV halfshafts. I am in the US. This was a no brainer, car is sooo much better than when I bought it in 1982 with 22k mileage. Ten years on I think for the conversions. Your guys import duties suck for car parts. I heard of  someone in OZ who bought a U.S. car, proceeded to make sure it was shipped with stuff in the trunk…………..  I was paid in USD and shipped the stuff I sold to South Carolina. 

On 4/9/2023 at 8:37 AM, Casar66 said:

I tried NOS hubs, reconditioned ones and the hubs from Bastuck. One of the Bastucks last less than 1000 mls. The other one was better, like the NOS. But the customer service of Bastuck is a desaster. The reconditioned was good for 3000 mls. Now there is a cosworth/quaife type mounted. I should have done it right from the beginning. They are quite expensive comparing with the other. But the feeling to drive without a "sword of damocles" above you is worth the extra money. And you save also a lot of work because you never change hubs again.

Btw: even with driveshafts is possible to drive without the clonk. In my eyes you don't need cvv. I know plenty of cvv users with problems. 

I have used Limora CV drive shafts for over 5 years, the operation of the rear end of my TR was completely changed for the ride. It was improved beyond belief. I am not convinced that the original design of the drive shaft operates as it should on the rear suspension. The originals were made by GKN who also made a CV conversion for TRs. Has anyone on the Forum used them? The only trouble that I have had is one of the wheel bearings failed and it was made by Faff, not the sort of problem you would expect from one of Europe's largest bearing manufactures. It was not the usual German quality??? But I did get a free replacement and it was well outside warranty.

Bruce

On 4/9/2023 at 10:40 PM, Waldi said:

I wish someone in the EU would sell the Nissan differential conversion, Goodparts in the US have set the standard, but shipping and taxes makes it very expensive for us in the EU.

That would make the rear end of the drive train virtually bullet proof.

Waldi

It is a relatively simple conversion. Your local engineering shop could make a copy or perhaps improve the design.

It was not the usual German quality???

Please forget your expectations of German quality as soon as possible in connection with Limora or Bastuck. These are two different worlds.

10 hours ago, Malbaby said:

It is a relatively simple conversion. Your local engineering shop could make a copy or perhaps improve the design.

I considered making them myself but I don’t think it is a simple job. It will involve a lot of trial fitting before all dimensions are correct, just to mention one aspect.

Alasdair (CDD) said he had not done it yet. 

Waldi

On 4/13/2023 at 9:09 AM, Casar66 said:

Please forget your expectations of German quality as soon as possible in connection with Limora or Bastuck. These are two different worlds.

The original bearing was the same as used by VW in a GTI Golf as confirmed by a friend that races Golfs. The replacement Faff bearing had the same part number marked on it, as the failed part, so I believe that it was an original quality bearing from Faff??

Bruce.

• 3 weeks later...