Motor Insurance rip off or is it just me?

Just in the process of getting quotes for two cars, no changes no claims and for each the cost has increased by £80 for one and nearly £100 and that's using the usual comparison sites!

Tried a few multi car quotes and they are almost double the cost of individual quotes - how's that work? It should be cheaper surly.

Both over 50 so why not a try a well known over 50 provider result a funeral would be cheaper!

I'm not surprised younger drivers or those who are struggling to make ends meet are forgoing having insurance. Anyone else seeing the same level of robbery I thought inflation was 10%?

Andy

More people driving uninsured and damaging both own vehicle, the vehicle(s) they hit and the vehicle they have pinched for their joy-ride.  This means that those who are insured are paying for the misdemeanours of these idiots.

In addition, with the rocketing cost of energy, workshops are having to raise rates considerably (or close shop), and on top of this are all the other increases, which seem to be spiralling upward.

In this part of the world (Thame), we have already seen a number of businesses in the town closing their doors - one was in the High Street for 58 years and had an excellent reputation.

My renewal through the TR Register scheme for both my TR4 and my Citroen C5 estate showed an increase on last year, but only £5 overall - I was happy with that.

Ian Cornish

13 hours ago, PodOne said:

Just in the process of getting quotes for two cars, no changes no claims and for each the cost has increased by £80 for one and nearly £100 and that's using the usual comparison sites!

Tried a few multi car quotes and they are almost double the cost of individual quotes - how's that work? It should be cheaper surly.

Both over 50 so why not a try a well known over 50 provider result a funeral would be cheaper!

I'm not surprised younger drivers or those who are struggling to make ends meet are forgoing having insurance. Anyone else seeing the same level of robbery I thought inflation was 10%?

Andy

Andy,

I have a multi car policy with LV that I've had for 2 years. Did it all on line and this year (Nov 22) the cost had gone up 5% which I think is ok. I've got multi driver also which as well as the wife includes 33 year old son and his wife, the cost went down. Why not try them if you haven't already.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I have my modern with LV & actually found on this months renewal the premium had reduced by a couple of quid!

The TR is with Hagerty who I have found very competitive, efficient, fair & helpful.

Just tried LV still way more expensive than individual polices, looks like the way to go for me at present.

Will try a phone call and haggling with the existing companies next. 

I forgot to mention the cost of parts on moderns.  If a headlamp fails, it's not just a case of replacing a bulb - oh, no, it is a new unit.  And on a Beamer, I gather that it is a small fortune.

Then there are those clever boxes of wondrous electrical bits which control everything, each costing rather a lot.  Some cars have of the order of 20 boxes, each of which can fail.  Our TRs have none in standard form, and even electronic ignition is but one.

Can these moderns be kept running once they get beyond 10 years of age and the maker ceases sourcing spare parts?

And cars which used to be repaired may get written off.

Ian Cornish

24 minutes ago, ianc said:

Can these moderns be kept running once they get beyond 10 years of age and the maker ceases sourcing spare parts?

The availability of spares will certainly be the killer Ian .  Electronic 'chips' can go obsolete quickly, particularly if they are bespoke, and the maker is unlikely to bother designing and producing alternative units at great expense just to keep old cars on the road.   Everything on a modern is linked via the black boxes - engine, lights, brakes, steering, instruments - you name it.  Warning lights on the dash are MOT failures now, even if not important for safety.

I can't see it as likely that any after-market alternatives for the electronics will become available as they are for mechanical bits. 

Rob - I'm sure that you are correct.   Planned obsolescence, in order to increase sales of new cars.

My 2008 Citroen C5 diesel is a comparatively simple machine, but one of the sensors failed the other day and I do miss it because I find it difficult to judge how close I am to another car or a wall, especially in the dark.  And when one sensor fails, it seems to disable all the rest!

Fortunately, the man who has been fettling my Citroens over the past 28 years is very adept at sourcing second-hand parts, and he acquired from Ebay a collection of these sensors.

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, ianc said:

Fortunately, the man who has been fettling my Citroens over the past 28 years is very adept at sourcing second-hand parts, and he acquired from Ebay a collection of these sensors.

Ah - they have stopped that on later cars too. Many electrical bits are now 'coded' so they will only work on the original car.  If you use a good but reclaimed part, it won't be recognised by the system and will still not work.  

Bumpers fitted with those sensors now come ready painted as a repaint thickness upsets the calibration and can only be fitted by main agents as they need to be recoded to the car.

Stuart.