Hi all

have just spent a pretty frustrating morning trying to get my freshly painted bonnet to fit properly to no avail so first question is guys how in gods name do you adjust the bonnet to fit with at least acceptable shut lines.Also after weeping over several paint chips I found that the piece of metal that the bolts holding the bonnet catch screws in to has a stripped thread on one side!!! and yes I did mutter several curses (under my breath of course).So anyone out there got any words of wisdom and experience please

once again all comments great fully received 

nige

Ah yes can go well and then again sometimes not. 
Stip off the bonnet catch and both corner bump stops

Rest the bonnet on a folded blanket or towel or some such in the middle 

Then adjust the hinges through the grill aperture to acceptable lines to wings

Refit bump stops to sort heights in the top corners by the windscreen THEN. Fit the bonnet catch THEN with masking tape over the catch aperture gently lower the bonnet to get a mark of the pointed centre,lift and adjust catch to be centre in the masking tape.

Gently latch catch if have got this correct the bonnet will not move sideways relative to the wings,if it does then you need to repeat.

Finaaly you might need to-tweak the catch to get satisfactory pull down levels to the front deck 

John

24 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Ah yes can go well and then again sometimes not. 
Stip off the bonnet catch and both corner bump stops

Rest the bonnet on a folded blanket or towel or some such in the middle 

Then adjust the hinges through the grill aperture to acceptable lines to wings

Refit bump stops to sort heights in the top corners by the windscreen THEN. Fit the bonnet catch THEN with masking tape over the catch aperture gently lower the bonnet to get a mark of the pointed centre,lift and adjust catch to be centre in the masking tape.

Gently latch catch if have got this correct the bonnet will not move sideways relative to the wings,if it does then you need to repeat.

Finaaly you might need to-tweak the catch to get satisfactory pull down levels to the front deck 

John

Good system there from John, I might suggest a second latch catch emergency fitment that works more directly is added, before you go for the bonnet latching into position...just in case.

Mick Richards

The plate for the bonnet catch screws often strips, a helicoil can be fitted to get over that problem.

When Im fitting bonnets I do it without the grille in place but with the hinges fitted to the inner wings but not snugged up tight on the inner wing bolts so there just enough movement on them to adjust and I also fit the rear bonnet cones again not snugged up but just tight enough so they will self centre themselves to the bonnet cone mouldings put the bonnet onto those cones bringing it in horizontally and sit it on them and a I have a thin sofa cushion I sit on engine, its just thick enough to hold the front of the bonnet up to the wings. Then using a plastic window fitting tool adjust your gaps till your happy then screw the hinges up under and tighten the side bolts. Lift the bonnet and if your happy with the height of the cones then tighten them up or adjust up or down accordingly and finally fit the two short side bolts for the hinge straps.

As stated above for the catch put some masking tape over the hole and smear some CV joint grease on the end of the spring as its black and will show up how off centre the spring is to,the aperture of the catch. I always pull the bonnet pull right out and secure with mole grips until Im happy with the spring pin location. Dont do more then let the spring contact your tape across the catch for initial lining up as if youve got it offset its possible for the pin to go through at such an angle that it catches under the outer edge even with the catch fully open and your definitely in the doo doo then. You may need to adjust the length of the spring to get an acceptable closed height but only do that after your happy with the setting and youve tightened the catch to the bonnet frame. You may also need some judicious bending of the safety hook on the pin assembly to get it to do its job but be careful as theyre pretty flimsy in construction. Sometimes easier to bend the hook on the bulkhead catch.

Stuart.

Can I just pose a question to Stuart about the helicoil, I have never used these and I don’t know the method of applying these things or indeed what size I should get.Can you explain how I would go about fixing this particular problem please.

thanks in anticipation 

nige

You would need a 1/4" UNF Helicoil kit which would come with the drill and tap for it. Put the good bolt in to hold the plate from moving around then drill through the damaged thread carefully in the other hole and then use the tap to rethread and then screw the helicoli in. As the plate isnt very thick and its an open ended hole just screw it in until the thread is flush with the plate, the screw isnt very long so you can usually get away without breaking the end tang off.

These are good kits https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/1-4-unf-thread-repair-kit/

Stuart.

Helicoils are a dark art if you’ve never used them.

Once you’ve done them once you think “what was all the fuss about ?” And become an instant expert - just like me !

Really easy to do and the other one in a similar camp is rivnuts, so worth having a read up on how they work as well. Both can get you out of a loose spot.