TR6 mystery ‘CLONK’ …..

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, long time no post for me !

so many hobbies and so little time ….

After the Castle Combe trackday last May my TR6 developed a ‘clonk’ when taking up drive.

after doing nothing about this for ages, best practice i know, last week i took it to the local mot place and borrowed their inspection pit.

was hoping / expecting a worn prop uj, or maybe driveshaft cv…. But these were all fine.

the diff has some backlash but thats been the same for the 10 years i’ve owned it!

testing in and out of 1st/reverse with the engine running the rear of the diff moved up and down quite a bit.

back in 2013 i fitted new rubber rear mounts, the fronts are poly ( i was advised this combo was a good compromise between control and noise)

Today i replaced the old mounts with superpro blue poly mounts…. And the clonk is gone !

easy job apart from getting the exhaust box off, it was happy in the car and reluctant to leave !

the old mounts were shot, the inner steel tube being detached from the rubber.

heres a few pics

steve

FBDAFC58-EEDF-416D-9060-1839F6B86B49.jpeg

DC880985-4E15-4C72-AA2B-856704D659D3.jpeg

41149E65-E6CC-4023-97E0-A4E39AE3B8B6.jpeg

Edited by Steves_TR6
Spelling!

Had the same experience. Destroyed one set if rear mounts in a summer. Fitted polyurethane and all good..

Tim

I had the pressed steel diff carrier that bolts to the nose of the diff, fracture. Gives a single knock on drive take up.  Only a matter of time as these TRs age !

Peter

Hi Steve, have you noticed any difference in noise or vibration in switching to the poly Bushes?

Only had a short test drive so far and couldnt notice any more noise

the poly’s are stiffer than the rubber mounts so we’ll see how the ally dif housing fares over time

i do drive the 6 ‘enthusiastically’ including the odd track day

When I fitted purple Superpro poly bushes many years ago I was under the impression they had the same stiffness as the original rubber. There were alternatives which were stiffer. Is that now not the case? All I noticed on my car was lots of missing noise - no increase in harshness.

J

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

When I fitted purple Superpro poly bushes many years ago I was under the impression they had the same stiffness as the original rubber. There were alternatives which were stiffer. Is that now not the case? All I noticed on my car was lots of missing noise - no increase in harshness.

J

Yes, i remember red,blue and yello poly.

and the front mounts on my 6 are yellow

But these days blue superpro seems de-rigeur

20 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Yes, i remember red,blue and yello poly.

and the front mounts on my 6 are yellow

But these days blue superpro seems de-rigeur

I could see the ones I fitted as a purply blue ;)