Spring loaded steering box top cover

Hi. I have read the forum's posts on the effectiveness of the Revington spring loaded steering box top cover. In general it seems beneficial but some owners find no improvement and revert back to the standard adjuster. I would like to try the Revington fix on my 1958 Tr3a. Has anyone got a redundant spring loaded top cover that i can try or buy.

Regards

Alan

No, but I can recommend them.  The trick is to adjust the peg as normal, leaving just the tinyest amount of "spring effect".

The y will make no difference when cornering, as the peg is already hard up against one side of the worm slot, the big difference is when going straight ahead, the sprung loaded peg removes all free play in the steering box. What it won't do is improve the steering if you have free play anywhere else, eg ball joints, & play in the drop arm bush at the base of the steering box.

As it happens I am in the process of switching to rack & pinion, but not because of sloppy steering, I want it to be lighter.

My entire steering box (with sprung loaded peg) will be up for sale in a few weeks, but I would probably not separate the top from the rest.

Bob

11 hours ago, Alanretired said:

Hi. I have read the forum's posts on the effectiveness of the Revington spring loaded steering box top cover. In general it seems beneficial but some owners find no improvement and revert back to the standard adjuster. I would like to try the Revington fix on my 1958 Tr3a. Has anyone got a redundant spring loaded top cover that i can try or buy.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, totally agree with Bob, the top cover does make a big difference. If you have  the other Revington mods, new pins plus a bushed idler and modified link arms to correct the Ackerman angle you end up with very nice very positive steering. All  assuming the worm is not damaged and the pin has not worn badly. (Pin can be rotated  90 degrees to take out wear.)

Iain

6 hours ago, iain said:

Hi Alan, totally agree with Bob, the top cover does make a big difference. If you have  the other Revington mods, new pins plus a bushed idler and modified link arms to correct the Ackerman angle you end up with very nice very positive steering. All  assuming the worm is not damaged and the pin has not worn badly. (Pin can be rotated  90 degrees to take out wear.)

Iain

I'm glad you said that about the pin Iain,  it was a dodge we used on vintage cars. When I was adding the penrite grease, I did exactly as you suggest and it took a 2 inch play at the wheel down to less than half inch!  I was thinking about the revington cover, but happy with my results so far!

T

The MG  T Type drivers have been doing a mod on their steering boxes for 60 plus years.   There is a kit called the Tompkins kit but I have never seen one in real life and am struggling to understand how it works.  They mention it overcomes the excessive friction.   In which case that is not our issue here.
They also fit a grease nipple to the filler plug/bolt and fill through that.

https://www.ukmgparts.com/userfiles/pdfs/tc1.pdf

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 2/20/2023 at 3:32 PM, Trev Good said:

I'm glad you said that about the pin Iain,  it was a dodge we used on vintage cars. When I was adding the penrite grease, I did exactly as you suggest and it took a 2 inch play at the wheel down to less than half inch!  I was thinking about the revington cover, but happy with my results so far!

T

Hi all. Thank you for your comments. I will order a sprung steering box cover from Revington and see for myself what difference it makes to the straight line performance. 

Regards

Alan

11 hours ago, Alanretired said:

Hi all. Thank you for your comments. I will order a sprung steering box cover from Revington and see for myself what difference it makes to the straight line performance. 

Regards

Alan

I have the Revington spring loaded top on my three sidescreens. It is fabulous. Nothing less.

33 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

I have the Revington spring loaded top on my three sidescreens. It is fabulous. Nothing less.

Is there a way of seeing if you have one already ?

any tell-tail features ? Compared to original, this is mine. 

5BE41080-B3D2-4FA0-A064-55C773699E3D.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
On 2/23/2023 at 7:42 PM, Hamish said:

Is there a way of seeing if you have one already ?

any tell-tail features ? Compared to original, this is mine. 

5BE41080-B3D2-4FA0-A064-55C773699E3D.jpeg

My TR3 is a bit dismantled for painting making it easy to take a photo of the Revington box top.

Steering box.jpg