Hi folks.
Well, seeing that President Khan is expanding the money grab ULEZ zone, I decided to put in my TR registration…. And guess what? According to TfL it is not exempt despite being a 1974 tax and mot free!

Does anyone know what the best email or telephone no. would be at the DVLA to get a correction done?

TfL site just says they get all the details from DVLC

Dave

My understanding is that the flag used by the ULEZ charging system is that of ‘Historic’ status - does your V5C state Historic as the taxation class?

if it does, I’d contact TFL about their error, if it doesn’t I’d contact DVLA to ensure the taxation class is corrected, then the TFL system should be fed the correct data.

…….. Andy

Somewhere in the small print on the checker it explains that (for London only) it only checks the emissions standard of the vehicle not the VED status.  To check whether you need to pay the charge go to the 'Pay to Drive in London' page and continue as if paying, it will then show the vehicle as exempt and no charge payable.

Mike

This is the result for me on TFL checker

Your vehicle

XYY424F

Red

Country of registration

United Kingdom

Change vehicle

Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) 

This vehicle meets the ULEZ emissions standards

You do not need to pay a daily ULEZ charge to drive in the zone, and are helping to improve air quality across London.

However, if you see the Congestion Charge displayed below, you will need to pay that daily charge to drive in central London.

Congestion Charge

£15.00 to £17.50 a day

Yep, that is the same as the result I receive from the ULEZ checker - I particularly like the comment that we are helping improve air quality across London :) 

Mike is quite right that on the initial menu of the checker it states that the tool only checks the emissions standard of the vehicle - although I’m not quite sure how that would work for vehicles that don’t have such a defined standard (Euro 1 through 6), I’d wager it should default back to taxation status for those pre-Euro1 vehicles.

……. Andy 

15 hours ago, AndyR100 said:

My understanding is that the flag used by the ULEZ charging system is that of ‘Historic’ status - does your V5C state Historic as the taxation class?

if it does, I’d contact TFL about their error, if it doesn’t I’d contact DVLA to ensure the taxation class is corrected, then the TFL system should be fed the correct data.

…….. Andy

Good point! I will check, but surely if it’s tax free that should be reflected as such??

• 2 weeks later...

So how do I interpret this, I know that when I bought my 1973 TR-6 last July the vendor said it is listed as historic/ tax exempt but looking at the DVLA site I’m now wondering reading this thread. 

E66CC944-82E5-41B5-90B6-0A3869ACBA23.jpeg

Looks ok

the mot section is green but undated showing it’s exemption due to age.

if you had had it mot’s it would have a date. 

shows the tax date even if you don’t pay.

42 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Looks ok

the mot section is green but undated showing it’s exemption due to age.

if you had had it mot’s it would have a date. 

shows the tax date even if you don’t pay.

Thanks Hamish, so we’ve got to pay both to drive around Bucks Palace then or just the CC?

26 minutes ago, Steve-B said:

Thanks Hamish, so we’ve got to pay both to drive around Bucks Palace then or just the CC?

You will need to pay the Daily Congestion Charge.

You can check whether the TfL systems recognise your car as ULEZ-exempt by entering your VRN into the link that Hamish has provided. (Yours, if registered with DVLA as Historic Vehicle Tax class should show as exempt from ULEZ) - Do check first to avoid a surprise :)