Economy 10

A totally unrelated TR topic but is anybody using Economy 10 for their electric & heating requirements? I have been on SSE Superdeal for many years but due to increased costs & probably in the new year a necessity, due to the suspension of Superdeal, I am probably going to have to change to Economy 10. Perhaps people can provide their experiences of this tariff with pros & cons etc? 

I would love to move from SSE but unfortunately no other supplier has a tariff like Superdeal that is set up to give us a boost of cheaper heat energy during the afternoon to warm up the evening. We have an older property run with electric heating (no gas in the village) that needs warming for the evenings. Economy 7 which others do offer gives its cheaper heat energy for 7 hours overnight only with no boost during the day. Economy 10 is not widely available but where it is, gives the cheaper 5 hours overnight along with 3 hours in the afternoon & another 2 hours during the evening. My intention would be to get switched free of charge by SSE from the Superdeal to E10 & then compare other Companies if they supply an E10 tariff then switch if cheaper than SSE. The E10 deal means a smart meter which I have resisted in the past but just wondering what other possible downsides there might be with E10.

Do you use enough energy during the night to offset the higher price you'll pay during the day? We had one of those 'economy' tariffs but even using the night rate for the washing machine, dryer and dishwasher we couldn't save any money, so we dropped the Economy 7 and went with a constant price tariff.

Pete

12 hours ago, stillp said:

Do you use enough energy during the night to offset the higher price you'll pay during the day? We had one of those 'economy' tariffs but even using the night rate for the washing machine, dryer and dishwasher we couldn't save any money, so we dropped the Economy 7 and went with a constant price tariff.

Pete

Had exactly the same experience recently. With great difficulty I got my supplier to confirm the unit costs on our Economy 7 tariff and a standard tariff. It was clear that  with recent changes in pricing by the company there was even less financial benefit than there had been historically. We changed. 
Miles

15 hours ago, stillp said:

Pete

My day use is around 1/3rd of my total usage so the remaining 2/3rd is night rate & the cheaper rate for our water & heating. I recently worked out what the cost would be on a one price rate & it was almost the same. I need to see what the Economy10 tariff would be in comparison & if there are any benefits to be had apart from that ability to get the pm boost to the heating, which is essential in cold weather. I think the energy companies would like to just get everybody on to one rate with a smart meter & be able to drop all those ‘cheaper’ time tariffs with everybody paying identical high cost. No switching & no competition. I suspect that after I have been taken off the Superdeal tariff & on to say Economy10, it will also eventually be discontinued & I will end up with Economy7 or a flat rate tariff choice!

Until 4 years ago, we were living in Aldbury, a village to the west of Tring,  We had a dual rate, economy 7, meter, and the power to the village arrives by overhead lines, which tend to get demolished by falling trees in bad weather.

The timer on the electricity meter was driven from the mains, so every time we had a power cut, the timing slipped - and it could be several hours in really bad conditions.

I kept an eye on the timing and we adjusted our use of washing machine and dishwater to ensure that they were used during the "night time", even though this could be in the middle of the day.

In 28 years, the electricity supplier only came once to reset the timing.  But the next time we had a power outage, slippage recommenced.

Ian Cornish

In our area there used to be Economy 18, both this and E10 was supplied by two cables , E18 disappeared many years ago not sure about E10

We are with Octopus now and would recommend them particulary their customer service.

Octopus go is their overnight rate with 4 hours reduced rate or octopus Intelligent which gives 6hr offpeak but you need a compatible EV you will need a smart meter installed for both

Chris

I am awaiting a reply from Octopus to see what they can offer us. For years our problem has been getting a suitable tariff that gives us a cheaper boost of heating energy during the afternoon period to warm the house for the evening. SSE have been the only supplier offering the Superdeal tariff that works in that way, so no competition for our custom! I thought monopolies were dead & buried but not in the energy market! Coincidently @ a Christmas gathering last night I found out that one of our village neighbours was having problems with SSE who were demanding £900 a month for supply to their property when their actual usage was a 1/3rd of that! Estimated bills from SSE have always been a problem for us but our neighbours situation is ridiculous. The energy market needs complete overhaul in my view!