Physical precautions when working on cars

Charlie

30 sq metres in total.    5 metres width.  6 metres in depth. Height  2340mm (or 90") The clearance at the top was just 20mm (Close but ideal).                                          I paid the company to install it. The depth of the concrete must be 200mm. Mine is around 160mm but properly reinforced and they test before installation then give you a letter to say it conforms etc. I changed the arms to be longer as the width of the two poster is 3 metres. I wanted it just off the wall on the right hand side but they said to conform it must be 600mm clearance which meant I could not have two cars side by side. With the letter boxes in I can get a car underneath (just) with the top screen and surrey backlight up and into the ceiling  void of my TR5 on top.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

20191129_175428_resized.jpg

Harry,

Thanks for the dimensions.

I don’t think my floor would pass the stress test.

I built the garage myself, digging by hand and mixing all the concrete in a small mixer, so tried to make life easier by just laying 4 inches. It works fine for what it is, but I never thought about a lift. To be honest I think digging down another 4 inches and mixing several more loads of concrete would have finished me off.

For anyone with a Sidescreen car who is thinking of installing a lift remember that if you take the screen off you can get away with a lower ceiling height.

Charlie.

Fortunately I rarely strain my back but when I did so once I was recommended "The McKenzie Method" (Google it). He was a NZ physio and his methods included extension flexes, put overly simply involving exercises involving arching your back, usually by raising yourself up onto your elbows while lying face-down and keeping your hips against the floor. I found it gives immediate pain relief. I'm not a health faddist and I'm not clear how much clinical evidence there is for the method, but it's certainly now my go-to self fix when I do twinge my back.

Nigel

Hi,, as a apprentice panel bester i was always tort to bend my knees, or iv i was fileing the side of a car to do the spits,, iv i didnt id get kicked up and down the work shop, id only hert my back once, thst was at the end of the second lock down, when the person i worked for at the time wouldn't let me put a etype on the jig to repair, he insisted i put the tub on a couple of palets, instead,, michael