Fiamm air horns - wiring and use

My 6 came replete with period Fiamm two tone air horns. These are operated through an original 3 pin Fiamm relay* and a separate switch below the dash. Good, strong sound. 

The original horns are in place. They are not wired through the original horn relay which is unused (picture below). They operate via the horn push but sound pathetic (one not working/poor power supply/ poor earth?). I haven't quite traced all the wiring for them yet.

I am tempted to keep the Fiamms as I like the safety element of being heard when I need to be! But, the separates switch delays use / is distracting and is in the way of my knee when driving (easily moved though) So....

1. Are the Fiamms legal? I think so. They don't play a tune and never been mentioned on any MoT reports.

2. Any reason why I can't wire the Fiamms into the horn cabling so they are operated by the horn push?

3. Can all 4 horns be wired into the horn push (utilising the original relay for the original horns or piggy backing on the Fiamm relay)? Redundancy or overkill??? 

* Not being too well versed in electrickery I was confused by the original 3 pin relay but suspect the yellow fixed wire means it is in truth a 4 pin relay. Pictures below

Many thanks for your thoughts as ever.

Miles

IMG_2636.jpg.2e6929b5b575850cd65b705e3b17eefc.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg.3379cca40594b50277982738524e8c83.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg.321fa18ab11be877790135bed89a68c2.jpg

This is the original wiring scheme, the yellow wire makes it into a 4 connection relay as you say as it links supply on pin B to the top of the relay coil.  You can piggy-back it into the original circuit by connecting S on this relay to W2 on the existing horn relay (purple/black wire) so all horns sound together.  Air horns are legal provided the tone is constant and not warbling or playing a tune.  (The regs for post-1973 cars says they must not be 'strident' but this does not apply to earlier classics. )

Edit - if you are not using the original horn relay the horn push will be attempting to pass a rather large current which is probably why the horns sound anemic. Not good for the horn push either. 

hn.jpg.af0a670e912e047fda20fee7220ec6a5.jpg

Edited by RobH

Miles,

I once had an old Maserati (I’m not wealthy. It only cost $500).

It had both an air horn and an electric horn.

They operated from two different switches. One Marked “Town horn” the other marked “Country horn”. You could do the same and turn your horns into a conversation piece.

1 hour ago, RobH said:

The regs for post-1973 cars says they must not be 'strident'

I wonder if MOT stations have a 'strident meter” to test them.

You could have a good debate with a police officer about the definition of 'strident' if ever you were stopped.

(I think I know who would win.)

Charlie

Rob

Thanks as ever. Need to rewire the original TR6 horn relay (think I know where the original cables have been secured) and will piggy back as you suggest.

I am pretty sure your 'Edit' explanation is what is going on.

Peter

Thanks spotted that. A couple of drops of 3 in 1 annually seems to be the consensus.

Charlie

Attracted by the 'Town' and 'Country' idea but perhaps 'Italy' and 'UK' might be an option!

Miles

26 minutes ago, MilesA said:

Rob

Thanks as ever. Need to rewire the original TR6 horn relay (think I know where the original cables have been secured) and will piggy back as you suggest.

I am pretty sure your 'Edit' explanation is what is going on.

Peter

Thanks spotted that. A couple of drops of 3 in 1 annually seems to be the consensus.

Charlie

Attracted by the 'Town' and 'Country' idea but perhaps 'Italy' and 'UK' might be an option!

Miles

I had Citroen that had the same approach with their light switches.

Off, Ville.  Rue.  
You got Off at the first position, then side lamps and dip on the second position then dip and high beam on the third.  both lamps on conditions were controlled by operating the ‘dip’ switch stalk, depending on the lamp switch position selected.

PS Facel Vega HK500 had the selectable horn switch like the Maserati.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Aston Martin also employed a 'town & country' horn switch. I've got some (non-period) Fiamm air horns on my '6, which replace the factory items, wired through the original relay.  If Mr M.o.T man doesn't object to the level of 'stridentness', I can't see (or hear...?) the problem; horns are a safety feature, so there's no point in having quiet ones! (my old modified Austin A30s' air horns saved it from being squashed by a reversing Chelsea tractor in a a wet & dark car park, a few years back)

Cheers,

Paul.