Electric Windows

The glass in my doors is very scratched so I plan to replace both sides but also the mechanisms are rattling, clunky and a bit wonk so I figure that while I’m taking the whole think apart for repairs it would be a good time to go electric. Does anyone know of an off the shelf TR6 electric window kit? A quick google didn’t come up with much but I’m sure it must exist somewhere.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, on the basis juts one more thing to go wrong.

But if you want to go the electric route, what about adapting Stag electric windows? Another possibility is Reliant Scimitar GTE, where electric windows were available as an option in the seventies, so could possibly be adapted.

Nigel

Here you go Jon,

One favour deserves another. (Volvo Servo) Make sure you get the one made in Germany as the Chinese is not up to it at all. I had to pin the cogs through the square peg

which is the sticky out shaft the  original window winder sat. Before I pinned it the supplied cogs kit slipped and caused the window to stay stuck in a heavy rain storm.

Lots of silicon spray lubricant down the window guides and does help with new winder mechanisms.

You can PM me if you like and I will send you more details.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

20211011_171248_resized.thumb.jpg.d8277e6bb7005bcc569bc6ef7f18bee8.jpg

A couple of years ago I bumped into a guy who was working out the best way to do this and he eventually came up with a version based on a Fiat Punto 2002-2009. One advantage is that you can also use the central locking too. I keep in touch with him and will copy him this post. I have some details but as I'm not at this stage, I do not have all the details of the conversion. My notes are:

• I’ve managed to fit with only minor modifications. I cut 30 mm off the main drive section to get it to fit inside the door
  • Welded it back up
  • Separated the motor from the main body moved it out to get the right tension on the cable
  • Had to cut a bit of the door out to get the motor to sit flush , I’ll just plate up the bit I cut out
  • Including central locking 
  • Exterior touch sensitive door handles that will drop the door glass a couple of centimetres so that it doesn’t interfere with the roof rubbers 
  • The motors are from a 2002 to 2009 ish Punto 
  • They must be with the green cogs/plastic 
  • They’re on eBay £15 - £20

Fitting - 1.jpg

I’ve used Nissan note rear window motors grafted to the original tr6 manual mechanisms. Works perfectly. There’s 7 teeth that drives the tr6 regulator and 7 teeth that drive the Nissan one . It’s just question off making a plate to adapt it. A little part of the door has to be cut away to allow for the motor 

it sits proud of the door but a dummy speaker cover hides it

Ordered an Autoloc kit from Amazon US which apparently is very popular over there a few weeks ago but have now been told it is out of stock and they are not sure when it will be back in stock.

Im having a small operation this week and will have to be be very careful I don’t knock it so probably won’t do any TR work for a couple of weeks. If not back in stock by then will have to rethink my plans and probably go Harry and Jon’s route.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Stradaman said:

I’ve used Nissan note rear window motors grafted to the original tr6 manual mechanisms. Works perfectly. There’s 7 teeth that drives the tr6 regulator and 7 teeth that drive the Nissan one . It’s just question off making a plate to adapt it. A little part of the door has to be cut away to allow for the motor 

it sits proud of the door but a dummy speaker cover hides it

Update. I have just had my friend come back and he has now switched to the Nissan Note rear door motor as well as it is a 7teeth motor.

Any photos available for the sequence of the build, please Stradaman?

• 5 months later...

hi Harry

After lots of delays my purchase from the US was cancelled, so I have ordered the German one.

just wondering how you routed the cables from the A posts into the doors and how you protected them.

any pictures would be much appreciated 

thanks

Nigel