TR6 whine above 30mph

Hello

I’m hoping you may be able to help with some advice, please!

I have a 1970 TR6. It’s recently developed a whine above 30mph - which appears to be coming from the car’s rear.

It is a constant whine, which apart from kicking in at 30mph, doesn’t change with speed. It remains at a constant pitch and volume.
It sounds to me to be coming from the drivers side rear, but it’s proving hard to say for certain. 

The whine stops when you take your foot of the accelerator or coast out of gear. 

I’ve put the back wheels in the air under acceleration and am pretty confident in discounting a wheel bearing. 

Could this realistically be anything other than the diff? I’m keen to explore all options before sending it away for an expensive rebuild. 

Many thanks,

59 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Could it be a noisy PI fuel pump, or fuel cavitation in the pump? Near the left rear wheel, not right side of course.

What pump does your car have, Lucas or Bosch?

Nigel

Hi Nigel - thanks for your suggestion. I hadn’t considered the fuel pump, so will look into that. It’s a Bosch pump. It had been incredibly noisy on one drive around six months ago - but it was much louder and higher pitched than the whine now and went away when I restarted the car. 

RE the oil levels, that was my first check and seemed fine, although there was some oil on the seals suggesting a small leak

Thanks! 
Adam

18 hours ago, TredSix said:

Hello

I’m hoping you may be able to help with some advice, please!

I have a 1970 TR6. It’s recently developed a whine above 30mph - which appears to be coming from the car’s rear.

It is a constant whine, which apart from kicking in at 30mph, doesn’t change with speed. It remains at a constant pitch and volume.
It sounds to me to be coming from the drivers side rear, but it’s proving hard to say for certain. 

The whine stops when you take your foot of the accelerator or coast out of gear. 

I’ve put the back wheels in the air under acceleration and am pretty confident in discounting a wheel bearing. 

Could this realistically be anything other than the diff? I’m keen to explore all options before sending it away for an expensive rebuild. 

Many thanks,

The fact that the whine stops when you coast out of gear suggests that it may be the gearbox? Does the whine go when in 4th gear?

Bruce.

3 hours ago, astontr6 said:

The fact that the whine stops when you coast out of gear suggests that it may be the gearbox? Does the whine go when in 4th gear?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce - the whine is still there in 4th gear and in overdrive - which I’m guessing rules out gearbox and layshaft trouble? 

Adam

13 hours ago, TredSix said:

Hi Bruce - the whine is still there in 4th gear and in overdrive - which I’m guessing rules out gearbox and layshaft trouble? 

Adam

I would have to agree with that as I had layshaft trouble in the past. The inner diff stub axle bearing can give trouble along with the hub wheel bearing. To check the hub wheel bearing jack the rear wheel off the ground making sure you have chocked the other wheels with the hand brake off rotate the rear wheel and hold the lever arm of the shock absorber to see if you can feel a vibration being transmitted or cylinder if you have telescopic type. If you can that may be your problem!

Bruce.

Adam - whereabouts are you?

I have a couple of good used diffs and if you are not too far away, you are welcome to take one to try and see if the noise disappears - if it does, then I'm sure we can do a deal to buy it.

I'm in Colchester Essex

Cheers Rich

2 hours ago, rcreweread said:

I have a couple of good used diffs and if you are not too far away, you are welcome to take one to try and see if the noise disappears - if it does, then I'm sure we can do a deal to buy it.

I'm in Colchester Essex

Cheers Rich

A good offer!

Bruce.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, rcreweread said:

I'm in Colchester Essex

Cheers Rich

Hi Rich - that’s a very generous offer, thank you. I’m in Cambridgeshire, so not too far away. I’m away for work this week, but I’ll drop you a message to see if we can arrange something.

Thanks so much 

Adam 

6 minutes ago, TredSix said:

Hi Rich - that’s a very generous offer, thank you. I’m in Cambridgeshire, so not too far away. I’m away for work this week, but I’ll drop you a message to see if we can arrange something.

Thanks so much 

Adam 

Adam - that's great - have sent you a PM ( Personal Message) - click on envelope icon in top right hand corner of a forum page and that will open up your forum mailbox.

Cheers Rich