P/U steering rack bushes.

I’m replacing the old worn out steering rack bushes with p/u ones. Do I use silicon grease around the inside and outside of the bush. I’m not sure I should. Many Thanks.

Edited by Kevo_6
Spelling

I would fit them dry and dont forget to spread them out as per the w/shop manual. They wont move much in comparison to rubber but they do hold the rack firmly then.

Stuart.

Kev

They (assuming SuperPro?) may be a bloomin' tight fit 'outwards into' the mounts during compression/tightening.

As Stuart rightly points out, they dont move (nor compress) like rubber ones.

I ended up 'lubeing' mine, even using a spreader as per the 'Brown book' type, as it was hard holding the whole lot central/down/straight against the 'push' of the PU.

Well worth the fight tho!!

Hi John, they’re not superpro ones but are Polybush which I’ve had for quite some year’s. They are in and seem to fit quite nicely. All I have to do now is spread them but I feel that they will fit ok. 
I’ll see how they go but thanks for your advice.

I’ll let everyone now how it goes, hopefully tomorrow but I have a few decorating jobs to do first.

On 9/7/2022 at 2:16 AM, Kevo_6 said:

Thanks Stuart, yes I’ve made up a turnbuckle spreader for the job.

Appreciate the quick response.

Hi Kev,

Please would you post a picture of the spreader you made? I’m about to replace the rack on my car (with a hydraulic PAS one from CDD), and getting the mounts properly spread is one task I’ve found difficult in the past.

Thanks,
John

It was my first drive this morning since I fitted the the new P/U bushes. I have to say I wished I’d of done it before my my 1600 mile tour of France back in July as it’s like chalk and cheese. The steering seems so positive now.

Thanks for all of the advise.